Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 13:56
    Thomas Kahn

Running Umbraco 3 on IIS7?

Hi!

This might seem like a wierd question, but I have a handfull of Umbraco 3 sites on a development server. The sites haven't been upgraded since they where created (at least 5 years ago) but the server has. The server now runs IIS7 and I have installed .NET Framework 4.5 in order to run Umbraco 7.

When I try any of the Umbraco 3 sites I get a 500 error (Internal Server Error) which leads me to believe that it's not the actual code of the sites that's wrong, it's an incompatibility problem between the server and Umbraco 3. The sites reside in an app pool that is set to ASP.NET 4 Classic and has worked in this environment before.

Has anyone successfully hosted an Umbraco 3 site on IIS7 (Windows 2008 Server)? What can I do to make it run again?

Thanks!

/Thomas Kahn

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 13:59
    Stefan Kip

Try the Event Viewer to see what the actual error is and post the result here :-)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 13:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Thomas

I have not tried such a setup but I'm thinking...should'nt the app pool for the v3 sites be running asp.net v2 framework? I have some old v4.0.x sites running asp.net2/classic in the app pool and they're working fine on IIS 7.5.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

• Thomas Kahn 602 posts 506 karma points
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 14:21
    Thomas Kahn

Thanks a million Jan!

As always: "Assumption is the mother of all f*ck-ups".
    In this case I just assumed that the app pool had not been changed since the web was first launched and that a long time ago, in a galaxy far away I had the Umbraco v3 sites running in an ASP.NET v4 app pool. Which was just wrong.

I created a new app pool running ASP.NET v2 Classic and voila! The site is up and running again. I feel a bit like Doctor Frankenstein when I bring these old sites to life again. ;-)

/Thomas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2014 @ 14:36
    Jan Skovgaard

Haha, indeed those sites are reeeaaaally old! HQ must get a chock if they have enabled statistics stuff...:D - Really happy that it worked out for you.

Now, convince the clients to upgrade ;-)

Cheers,
    Jan 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft