Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 22:41
    Lachlann

Upgrade from 4.7.1 to 6.5 Object not set to instance of object

Hello.

So I am nearly at the end of an upgrade from 4.7.1 to 6.1.5 everything is nearly there except for one massive problem. In the backend when ever i try to acccess any content I get an 'Object not set to instance of object' error. 

Any and all ideas welcome. I am pretty sure I followed the steps properly. I also implemented the uComponents upgrade workaround.

Cheers

L

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 20, 2014 @ 22:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Have you checked the /app_data/logs file to see if they provide some more information about the error?

/Jan

Mar 20, 2014 @ 22:56
    Lachlann

Hey Jan,

I dont seem to have a logs file in my App_Data folder? (perhaps a problem in it's self) If i check the Event viewer on the server my error looks like:

Exception information:
        Exception type: NullReferenceException
        Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.GetById(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Boolean preview, Int32 nodeId)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.DetermineRouteById(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Boolean preview, Int32 contentId)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.GetRouteById(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Boolean preview, Int32 contentId)
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.DefaultUrlProvider.GetUrl(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Int32 id, Uri current, UrlProviderMode mode)
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.UrlProvider.<>c__DisplayClass3.<GetUrl>b__0(IUrlProvider provider)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
       at Umbraco.Web.Routing.UrlProvider.GetUrl(Int32 id, Uri current, UrlProviderMode mode)
       at umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.UpdateNiceUrls()
       at System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Does that help?

L

Mar 20, 2014 @ 23:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlan

Hmm, I don't really have a clue I must admit...

How have you done your upgrade?

What packages are installed?

/Jan

Mar 20, 2014 @ 23:21
    Lachlann

Well that makes two of us.

I upgraded from 4.7.1 to 4.8 then to 4.10.1 then to 6.1.5

I had standard values / old Ucomponents and an old version CMS import installed. I have remove d CMS import and upgraded UComponents.

When i create a new node the node appears untill i publish it an then i get the obkect error.

L

Mar 20, 2014 @ 23:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Hmm, ok. That helped actually.

Since you upgraded to 4.10.1 there might be an issue with the examine indexes returning a wrong path if I remember this correctly. There was a patch supplied, which one should run to fix the issue.

I'll see if I can digg up the blogpost describing the issue.

/Jan

Mar 20, 2014 @ 23:27
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Turned out it was not too hard to find the blogpost that mentioned it.

Here it is http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2013/2/1/umbraco-4114-released.aspx

Before you install the patch fix for examine please make sure you have a backup of your database and files.

Hope this helps!

/Jan

Mar 20, 2014 @ 23:39
    Lachlann

Cheers! I will give that a go. I actually installed the package but didnt read the blog post carefully enough, I thought the package itself was the fix didnt realise there was seperate thing to run! (slaps own wrist)

Thanks for your help, will let you know how i get on.

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 09:28
    Lachlann

Hmm I left that tool running over night and it doesnt seem to have worked, my site is very large so I am not sure how long it should take.

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 09:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachann

How large is your site?

If I remember correctly it's possible to see the progress of the tool so it shows what it's running through and what it's changing.

Otherwise it should write to a logfile as well, which is explained in the package notes - Can't remember where it places the log but you can figure out by finding the package in Umbraco and read the notes I guess.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 09:48
    Lachlann

Hey, Yeah the site is really very large i am not sure exactly but probably at least 10,000 nodes. When i run the path fix up it says that it is 'fixing' and that it will create a log in the App_Data / Temp folder but even though i left this running through the night it didnt seem to do anything.

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Hmm ok...that's odd...

I think you mentioned earlier that you could not see the umbraco logfile either?

Have you double checked your permission setup and that the app pool is setup correctly as well?

I must admit I'm not sure if it's possible to run the path fixup package on 6.1.x installations since only 4 and 6 are mentioned in the blogpost...

Is there any chance that you can rollback your upgrade to a previous step and make a new branch moving forward for 6.1 from there? I'm thinking if you have been using Git or Mercurial - Then you could go back to 4.10 and run the path-fixup stuff and when that's done progress further. However I'm not certain if the fixup stuff has "messed up" the db if you rollback to another version...but I don't think it would.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:18
    Lachlann

Hey Yan.

I found my Log File in the end I just hadnt refreshed the folder since uploading everything. I had a look and since last night I have this error in there:

ERROR umbraco.content - [Thread 26] Error Republishing
    System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x03, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 684.

I should point out as well that the main reason I am upgrading is because I beleive that my site was suffering from a problem with strange characters in the content (added by one or other of the content editors: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/49211-Whole-site-gets-corrupted-all-nodes-have-URL-)

I might try and now locate the location of that character and remove it from the DB.

thansk for all your help, wish me luck :)

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Oh yes that damned error! I have been dealing with that a lot last year on a client site. Usually when adding new document types...it's very fragile and a source of great frustrations. Happy to see that Simon Anthony has written about it since I never managed to figure out why...only how to kinda solve it by publishing content all over again.

But seems there is another weird character error now...

If you know what character it is perhaps you can escape it by adding in the umbracoSettings.config? It's a long shot and I'm not sure if it will work.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 10:29
    Lachlann

Yeah, I know this one just hit us, its odd when the problem first happened it said the character was 0x00 now it is 0x03 hmm. I was under the impression though that an upgrade would fix the problem as Umbraco now parses the content?

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:22
    Jan Skovgaard

But when it said 0x00...that was on 4.7.x right?

And during the upgrade process you have been checking that things worked like expected? Or have you just gone all the way up without doing tests along the way?

I suspect 0x03 is another charachter, which is causing the mess.

Cheers, Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:35
    Lachlann

Hey Yan,

Yeah it said 0x00 in 4.7. When i upgraded to 4.10.1 I was getting an error relating object not found and 'no provider found with the alias 'media' but I think that was solved by this blog post (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/34436-49-imagesmedia-broke?p=0)

I was still getting the publishing issue in 4.10 but my understanding was that this issue wasnt fixed untill post 4.11 so I kind of expected that.

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Yan? That's new! :D

Hmm, I think the issue on 4.10 might be related to the issue that running the path fixup should solve...and if it's not there might be some weird characters messing it all up.

I'm running out of ideas and input...sorry - Perhaps some other bright fellow in here has another angle or another idea on how to get this fixed.

/Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:41
    Lachlann

JAN! sorry! its been a long couple of days :)

Mar 21, 2014 @ 19:00
    Lachlann

Success!

So I followed the steps laid out in the simon antony's blog post here: http://www.simonantony.net/knowledge-base/articles/error-republishing-systemxmlxmlexception-hexadecimal-value-0x01-is-an-invalid-character/ found the two nodes that were giving me the trouble and deleted them, now my shiny new Umb 6 site is working!

client is testing it over the weekend but fingers crossed it is all good!

Thanks again for all your help!

L

Mar 21, 2014 @ 19:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lachlann

Very happy to hear you figured it out and got it all working. Crossing my fingers too! :)

Have a nice weekend.

Yan ;-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft