Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jenni Marsh 26 posts 46 karma points
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:32
    Jenni Marsh

Upgrade from 4.6.1 to 4.11 - Step by step or in one go?

Hi there,

Sorry, quick question - I am a bit confused by how to upgrade from 4.6.1 to 4.11 - do I need to upgrade to each version (4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 4.10, 4.11) at a time, or can I go straight to version 4.11?

If it is going to each version at a time, is it the versions on this page that I need to upgrade to?:

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/upgrading/version-specific

Thanks!

Jenni

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jenni

If it's the first time you do an upgrade I would probably suggest that you follow the documentation you linked above. That way it's easier to make sure that upgrading between versions is rather smooth.

Also be aware of 3rd party packages and figure out what you do if some of the packages you're using on v4.6 are not compatible or needs upgrading to work on 4.11.

I'm not saying you can't skip versions just that you need to be aware that some of the things mentioned in the step-by-step guide probably still needs to be done if you go from 4.6 straight to 4.11.

I will also encourage you to use a versioning system like Git or Mercurial if you're familiar with it since it makes it easy to rollback between versions (Of files) if something does not go as expected.

Also make sure to create a backup of your database and files for the site you're upgrading.

I hope these input help! :)

/Jan

Mar 21, 2014 @ 11:54
    Jenni Marsh

Great Jan, thanks for the reply! Appreciate it! I can't decide based on what I'd read on the forums whether to go to version 4.11 straight or gradually upgrade, and whether there was an accepted standard way of doing this. I'm not even sure if the document I linked to is advising me to go from 4.6.1 > 4.7.1 > 4.7.2 > 4.8 > 4.10 > 4.11, or is it just there are notes for those particular upgrades?

And if I wanted to just go to version 6, is it required that I get my site to version 4.11 before this is possible, or can I go straight to version 6 from 4.6.1? So many questions, sorry!

Jenni x

Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jenni

I think the document is meant to advise on doing it step-by-step. I know around the forum there are different opinions on this and I'm not saying that step-by-step is the only option but if it's the first time you do an upgrade I think it's better to start out doing it this way untill you feel more familiar etc. - Just my humble opinion and an approach I have used several times myself...I just feel safer that way :)

I think you need to be on 4.11 before upgrading to 6. Someone else might disagree but that's the approach we have taken at our company to upgrade a really large client of ours from 4.0.2 to 6.1.

/Jan

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:17
    Stefan Kip

I've succesfully upgraded 2 sites directly from v4.7 to v4.11.latest, so v4.6 -> v4.7 -> v4.11 should be flawless.

Mar 21, 2014 @ 12:47
    Jenni Marsh

Hmm.. it is tempting to go 4.6 > 4.7 > 4.11, but obviously everyone has different custom components. One more question guys, how long did it take both of you to do these upgrades? I need to provide an estimate to my boss!

Jenni

Mar 21, 2014 @ 13:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jenni

Yes, hopefully upgrading will be easier in the future even though 3rd party packages and custom integrations will always need to be taken into account.

I think it's difficult to make an estimate without knowing the complexity of the solution you're going to upgrade.

I would say 10-20 hours probably. But again...it can be someone does it a lot quicker, because the solution is pretty basic and has no heavy reliance on 3rd party packages and custom integrations etc. - And sometimes weird errors can occur that needs to be taken into account etc.

But take into account

• How many upgrade steps you decide to do
    • How you want to perform the upgrade
    • How much do you need to test and how are you going to test it
    • What do you do if something unexpected happens
    • What is the deployment plan once the site is upgraded? How do you deploy to live and what precautions should be made
    • Are there any 3rd party packages that needs to be upgraded?
    • Are there some custom API integrations that need to be changed due to API changes in Umbraco?

When you have an idea about the above questions (feel free to add more if there is something else that should be taken into account) then you may have an idea about it.

By the way I have read on some blogs that some people have been using some software called "Beyond compare". Maybe it's worth checking out. Haven't used it myself though.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft