Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Skowronek 29 posts 105 karma points
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:17
    Skowronek

Odd User Log In Issues

Long shot, but running into an issue on a deployed instance of 6.1.6. Works fine local development environment, but when deployed to Win 2k8 environment we can't log in to the back office. Membership users work just fine. When a log in attempt is made, it just returns to the log in screen w/o an error or flashing input fields. No JS errors, Network 404's, or Event logs entries.

The only thing it could be is that I had to restore the DB from script export as it's a SQL Express 2005 db instance.

Thanks.

• Zac 239 posts 541 karma points
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:25
    Zac

That sounds like a permissions error.  We've run into issues like that in the past and it's usually either:

1. A permission issue.
    2. A database connection string or db permissions issue. 

Check that your permissions are correct on the new server (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions) and check that you can access the db from the new web server with the stored connection string.

Hope this helps

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Skowronek

In some rare instances there can also be issues with the authentication cookie if you for some reason have changed the server date to test something and when changing it back again it's not possible to login.

Usually it can be fixed by rebooting the system - I think it's more likely that it's because of a permission error as Summit mentions above.

/Jan

Mar 27, 2014 @ 23:36
    Skowronek

Wouldn't I be blocked from accessing content/membership users/etc? I'll try looking at permissions, but I'm sure we set it up to be owner.

I'll try looking at that.

Mar 28, 2014 @ 02:10
    Skowronek

Must be something with the box. Just tried to start a clean instance via web install and it won't even get past the "get started" screen. Lovely.

Mar 28, 2014 @ 08:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Skowronek

Has alle the neccesary software for running Umbraco been installed perhaps?

Maybe it's a good idea to install webmatrix temporarily on your server and act as if you want to install Umbraco using it. The benefit is that it figures out if something other than Umbraco needs to be installed before it starts installing Umbraco. So all dependencies are in place by doing it this way.

Once done you can just remove webmatrix again.

/Jan

Mar 28, 2014 @ 14:58
    Skowronek

I ended up just moving the app to another server and it worked fine. Didn't have the time or will power to troubleshoot the other box anymore. 

Thanks for the help Jan.

Mar 28, 2014 @ 15:00
    Skowronek

However, it would be nice to know what the issue was and why Umbraco BO wasn't reporting anything wrong. That was the frustrating thing. No logs, no anything. I even upped the log4net levels too.

Mar 28, 2014 @ 15:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Skowronek

Yeah that's pretty frustrating but it's hard to figure out what went wrong. Especially since no logs were written. Sounds like a permissions issue to me though...but hard to say.

But good to hear you managed to get it solved in another fashion.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft