Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• luigi 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 29, 2014 @ 10:10
    luigi

how to move a site from one server to another

Hello,

I am quite new with umbraco and I am trying to figure out how to move an OOTB umbraco site to a different server.

I thought was enough to move the underlying database but apparentely there is something also in the assets.

Can you point me out where pages are stored?

Actually I was able to bring up umbraco on top of a new web server.

I modified the connection string on the web config to refer to the previous database and when I browse the home page I can see the basic site but without the blog pages I added in the original one.

I can even log in the configuration UI (/umbraco/login.aspx) and there I see the blog page. Strange enough this is not visible browinsg the site.

Any hint?

Mar 29, 2014 @ 10:19
    luigi

I notice that if from the configuration UI (/umbraco/login.aspx) I republish the blog pages then it is back visible on the site.

This is sound strange to me since I thought everything should go smooth as long as the DB is the same. If there is the need to republish all the pages after having moved the db to another Web Site I would consider some alternative. The main goal is to not move anything else then the DB.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2014 @ 10:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Luigi and welcome to our :)

When you move an Umbraco instance you always need to move both the database and the files within the folder that the website is pointing too namely the umbraco root folder, which is probably named the same as the website usually.

When both the database and files are moved and the IIS website is added you'll need to change the connection string to the new db in the web.config file.

Then go to /app_data/TEMP/ folder and delte the temporary files in the underlying folders. In the examine folder you need to preserve the 3 folders but it's a good idea to delete the files in those.

When you log in to Umbraco it's a good idea to republish the entire site as it sounds like you have also done above since it rebuilds the XML cache in /app_data/umbraco.config - If you did not move all files and folders then there has probably not been any umbraco.config file and that's why you did not see any nodes.

After these steps are done then everything should be working fine assuming that permissions and app pool settings on folders and in the server has been setup correctly.

Hope this answers some of your questions - Otherwise feel free to ask further questions :)

/Jan

Mar 29, 2014 @ 12:33
    luigi

thanks Jan I got the point I'll give it a try.

Mar 29, 2014 @ 16:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Sounds good Luigi - let us know if you succeed :)

/Jan

Mar 29, 2014 @ 16:49
    luigi

Is it possible to force the cache to be purged without deleting the files manually?

Mar 29, 2014 @ 16:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Not that I know of if you're thinking about the files in the /app_data/temp/ folder...but it's just once you need to do it.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft