Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• George 32 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 15:36
    George

Emperor's New Clothes?

Hi everyone

I appreciate that Umbraco is working hard to have the friendliest community ... so I'm trying to put this as politely as I can!

I'm a long-term .NET developer, with years of experience of websites and DotNetNuke. I've installed Umbraco (6.1.6 and 7.1.0), and tried a number of Starter Kits (uBootstrap and Standard Website MVC), but everything I try seems to do gives me errors. For example, installing the Standard Website MVC gives me a null reference error and I'm sure parts of it aren't working.

I'm desperately trying to get to grips with Umbraco, but find these constant glitches rather disturbing. Is this a case of the emperor's new clothes, and somebody has to stand up and say "this doesn't work" ... or am I missing something?

G

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 15:51
    Niels Hartvig

Hi George!

Sorry you had a bad initial experience with the 3rd party starter kits. You could try 7.1 released yesterday which by default includes a starter kit that gives you a good idea of a best practice Umbraco implementation based off one of the HTML5UP sample sites.

Hope this helps!

Best, Niels...

• George 32 posts 65 karma points
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 17:02
    George

Hi Niels

Thanks for the advice - yes this seems very much more stable!

George

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft