Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• firepol 125 posts 173 karma points
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 08:20
    firepol

Installint umbraco 6.2.0-rc in production?

Hi developers,

I'm developing a new website for a customer and a colleague suggested NOT to use an RC version, as he did in the past (I guess 4.x) and was not able to properly upgrade from it... for now I decided to start with 6.1.6, but soon I have to code some membership features. As 6.2 has a new membership API I guess it would be cool to use it, as well as the document type change feature I was waiting since a long time.

Do you test & support 6.2-rc upgrade to 6.2?

6.2-rc was out on March 20th. Today is April 10th. In the download page there is still not release date set.

Any ideas if we can see the official 6.2 release before Easter?

Thanks for letting me know, cheers and looking forward for your answers, in particular if you tell me you support and test 6.2-rc upgrade to 6.2 official (when it will be released) I'll be glad to upgrade from 6.1.6 to 6.2-rc right now...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 10, 2014 @ 08:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Firepol

I can understand your concern but I must say I personally have never experienced issues with upgrading from one RC to a final release. But I have not been using nuget...so that may be the reason as nuget by itself sometimes can have some weird issues etc.

I don't know what version of v4 your colleague have had issues with but it can be caused by other thing, which are not necessarily related to Umbraco. Usually all that is needed in order to upgrade from RC to final is to overwrite /Bin, /umbraco, /umbraco_client and add the /install folder and then merging config files in /config. But in the release notes it's usually described how one should go about upgrading to the final version and it's also always a good idea to consult the documentation on upgrading.

Before upgrading it's always a good idea to make a backup of the database and the files so you got your ass covered in case something does not work out as intended for some reason.

I'm not sure when 6.2.0 final is going to be released but since it says 100% I expect it is around the corner. However it might be a good idea to ask on twitter using the #umbraco hashtag - then I'm certain someone from HQ will pick it up and tweet you an answer.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 17, 2014 @ 16:10
    firepol

Hi Jan,

thanks for the answer... I did a backup of my website at a point I needed to add new document types and needed to change some containers document types to new ones. You can imagine how much time lost to move all children to a new container of new document type...

I needed the new feature to change document type.

So in short, I updated via nuget:

Install-Package UmbracoCms.Core -Version 6.2.0-RC -Prerelease -IgnoreDependencies

JSON.NET was complaining about dependency > 4.5 but < 5.0 (while JSON was installed already 5.0.6...) I hope this will be fixed also for umbraco 6.2 (I read that this was fixed on umbraco 7.1.x).

Seems to work for now...

Apr 17, 2014 @ 17:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi firepol

In regards to the json.net version I think this issue has been reported on the issue tracker and has been fixed for at least 7.1.1 - I would be surprised if it's not fixed for 6.2.0 also :)

/Jan

Apr 22, 2014 @ 08:34
    firepol

Dear Jan, maybe 6.2 is not out yet, because there are still a few bugs to be solved? One of them is for sure the JSON.net version, in 6.2-rc the dependency problem was present.

It's more than 1 month that 6.2 rc is out. Really looking forward to see the final release...

Apr 22, 2014 @ 08:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Firepol

Perhaps - All I said was that I'm sure the JSON.net version bug is probably also fixed in 6.2.0 final :)

I'm going to tweet to see if I can get a repsonse in regards to the official status of 6.2.0 and see if I get an answer.

/Jan

Apr 23, 2014 @ 13:32
    firepol

Hi Jan,

I see json dependency was fixed in umbraco 7.1.1

Just to be sure, I reported the json issue for v.6.2

I've just reported another bug affecting 6.2-rc (this is quite important as it creates inconsistencies in naming conventions - quite annoying when upgrading from 6.1.x), so I guess no rush for 6.2 final. It's better to wait a bit more but to have less bugs as possible.

Apr 28, 2014 @ 13:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Firepol

Just saw this blogpost by HQ http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2014/4/28/what-are-we-up-to.aspx - Umbraco 6.2 final is arriving thursday the 1st of May :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft