Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Evan Clark 4 posts 24 karma points
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 06:55
    Evan Clark

Umbraco Install on GoDaddy

Hello,

When I try to access mydomain.com/umbraco/install/default.aspx I receive a server error. Line 89 has the error.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error: 

Line 87:       of SQL Server (including SQL Azure and SQL  Compact) instead of to SQL Server Express.
    Line 88:       -->
    Line 89:     <sessionState mode="InProc" customProvider="DefaultSessionProvider">
    Line 90:       <providers>
    Line 91:         <add name="DefaultSessionProvider" type="System.Web.Providers.DefaultSessionStateProvider, System.Web.Providers, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" />

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Evan

I think you need to contact your hosting provider and ask them if everything is setup correctly in order to run Umbraco.

You need to run Umbraco under full trust and I think that GoDaddy as a default is using medium trust.

Also double check your installation by having a look at the documentation: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:43
    Evan Clark

Thanks for the reply Jan!

I made sure to change it to Full Trust. I will email Godaddy support and see what they say.

Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Evan

You're welcome - I've seen people have these issue before where it turned out GoDaddy needed to change something.

Also make sure that the app pool is run by the network service having full permissions.

/Jan

Apr 14, 2014 @ 08:48
    Evan Clark

Will do.

Also, I looked at the installation directions but I don't see how they relate to Godaddy?

Apr 14, 2014 @ 09:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Evan

You can use it as a reference to GoDaddy if they ask for it - perhaps they need to change something related to the system requirements.

And since I'm not using GoDaddy myself I have no clue on how to setup Umbraco on their hosting so I don't know if there could be some clues in order to setup permissions on for instance network service and iusr since I don't know how much control you have on their setup :)

/Jan

• Dave 27 posts 79 karma points
    Mar 27, 2015 @ 18:37
    Dave

Getting the same error here on the same hosting provider, the only difference being whilst yours seems to be related to a fresh installation, mine is a completed website awaiting release.

I understand im digging up an old thread here that hasnt been posted in for a while but someone may pick this up and be able to offer a little advice?

Mar 27, 2015 @ 19:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dave

Whether it's a fresh installation or a complete website ready for release it's actually the same thing since it's the initial deploy of both that reveals the issues on the webhost.

Have you followed some of the previous advice given? Have you been in touch with GoDaddy support to figure out if everything is setup properly in their end?

/Jan

• Dave 27 posts 79 karma points
    Mar 28, 2015 @ 15:31
    Dave

Hi Jan, thanks for digging this thread back up.

Ive sorted it, but for anyone having this problem in the future, this is how I did it:

The directory you are uploading umbraco to HAS to be a virtual directory, I was going wrong by making a physical directory, uploading Umbraco to that and then getting the error above.

So....

1. Create a virtual directory from the 'Virtual directories' option within the plesk control panel and check the option to "create a physical directory with the same name as the virtual directory"

1a. Change the permissions for the virtual directory to full control under the application group pool user, you do this by clicking the padlock icon on the same row as your virtual directory.

1b. Change the permissions for your phyical directory to full control under the application group pool user, you do this by navigating to the files window from the 'files' navigation link, hover over the folder row on the right, a dropdown arrow appears, click that, and select the change permissions link.

2. Publish your umbraco installation from visual studio, zip and upload into this physical directory using the 'file navigation window' (Its far quicker than ftp)

3. Now unless ive missed something, and provided there are no other errors your website should show.

Hopefully this helps someone, bit of a faff, but sortable.

Edit / update: 

Ensure that your umbraco webconfig contains the following:

• Matthew Hunt 13 posts 35 karma points
    Jul 14, 2015 @ 12:46
    Matthew Hunt

Can you please add what the web.config should contain?!? Dying trying to get this working!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft