Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jigar 170 posts 233 karma points
    Oct 31, 2009 @ 08:40
    jigar

Can i change admin panel URL?

Hi All,

Is there any configuration in admin panel or in umbraco settings folder files using which i can change umbraco admin panel url?

basically what i want to do is i want to change http://myweb/umbraco/umbraco.aspx to http://myweb/myname/umbraco.aspx.

Please let me know if there is any way out or you didn't get my question.

Regards,

Jigar

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 31, 2009 @ 09:05
    Rich Green

Hi Jigar,

You can do this 2 ways I  believe 

First:

Add this rule to your "/config/urlrewriting.config" file

<add name="adminrewrite" 
                        virtualUrl="^~/myname/umbraco.aspx" 
                        rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" 
                        destinationUrl="~/umbraco/umbraco.aspx" 
                        ignoreCase="true" />

Second

1. Rename 'Umbraco' directory to 'myname'
    2. Then change your web.config file as below:

3. <add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="/myname/" />
      <add key="umbracoPath" value="/myname" />

You also have to change the path within any existing masterpages to match the above.

I've never used this in anything other than a quick test so i'd use the first method for sure.

Hope this helps

Rich

Oct 31, 2009 @ 09:08
    Rich Green

Should  note that the with the first method '/umbraco/umbraco.aspx' will still function, where the second method it will not, not sure if this is important to you.

Rich

Oct 31, 2009 @ 09:10
    Rich Green

Sorry (where's the edit feature!!)

The first method does not work properly so try the second.

Cheers, Rich

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:32
    jigar

Well, Thanks for above answers rich.

I really appreciate your views on the problem. But for me no luck still.

I tried second option all worked well till i open the admin panel :).

i have changed exactly the same as you have described.. But when I logged in to admin panel using IE, it shows me numerous JavaScript errors.

i do believe that there are many references to that folder. When I debug that folder what i found is that the exception was generated from XLoadTree.js.

Please help me if anyone is having better views on this scenario.

Thanks all Umbraco lovers.
    Jigar

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:35
    Rich Green

hmm, don't know then, maybe it's not easy to do.

However, I assume it must be possible as the 'Pro' version allows you to 're-brand' Umbraco.

Rich

• Nik Wahlberg 639 posts 1237 karma points MVP
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:38
    Nik Wahlberg

I would be very careful about changing the directory structure of the install. That will (as you noted above) lead to issues within the code (compiled code for trees, master pages, and the like).

I would go with option 1. If that isn't great you can always create a redirect in IIS or via a user control as well.

Thanks,
    Nik

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:39
    dandrayne

I've seen posts regarding this before, but no quick solutions although it should eventually be possible.

The pro version "allows" you to rebrand the backend, but as far as I know provides no easy mechanism for doing this.

Dan

Nov 04, 2009 @ 14:39
    jigar

Very true, I also believe that.

May be some experinced or seniour guys can help out.

For now.. Waiting... :)

Regards,

JIgar

• Richard 146 posts 168 karma points
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 18:11
    Richard

We have done the second option with Umbraco 2 and 3 regularly, and but left the majority of the Umbraco code in the ./umbraco directory. But when I tried this a couple of days ago with an upgrade to version 4 it gave me Javascript errors in IE8, I did not notice any errors with FF3. I will have another look soon and see if I can get it to work.

Nov 06, 2009 @ 13:49
    Rich Green

This is taken directly from the official Umbraco (pro) skinning guide.

"You might want to rename the Umbraco folder into your own name such as "admin". To do this, simply rename the folder and afterwards open the file /web.config. Find the element called /configuration/appSettings/umbracoPath. Change the value from "umbraco" to "admin"."

So if this is not working for everyone this should be listed as a bug.

Rich

Nov 16, 2009 @ 16:16
    jigar

First i tried to do that using the Addding the url rule to "/config/urlrewriting.config" file

Here in our case the umbraco version is 4.2 so there are two "urlrewriting.config" one is in  "Umbraco" folder and another is in "Umbraco4.2" folder.

i tried to chagne the same in both of the folders but non of them worked as expected.

I am working on IIS 6 (Pre - production) and later on i would be moving to IIS 7.

Please help of this issue.

Thanks
    JIgar

(P.S :- if such things available with (Pro) version only, please kindly update here so that i can convince my client to use the same.)

Nov 16, 2009 @ 16:28
    Rich Green

This should be available in the Pro version but believe it's currently not working as described.

Rich

Nov 18, 2009 @ 08:24
    jigar

Thanks Rich...

Humm so what i understood is that this Features is available with "Pro Version" and even in "Pro Version" right now it is not working.

Please clarify if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Jigar

• Gary 20 posts 44 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 23:56
    Gary

Hi Jigar,

I'm not sure about the Pro Version but changing the path in the standard version does require you to go though the code and make changes to a few files. I've done it a couple of times but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to redo changes whenever there's an update etc.

If you do need to change it (as I was requested), you can use Visual Studio to search through the site and look for javascript code and style sheets that references umbraco/. You can either then change this to path you need or  use in some cases use the umbraco "base" path (works in js, not is css). Also go through the master pages and fix them too. The things that seemed to break were the xtree and the images for the "message box" in the bottom right.

This is off the top off my head though. Sorry for not being more specific, but I did the process above without much difficulty (but it does take time, don't do a blind search and replace!). I also didn't touch the language files (which reference it too).

• Chris 69 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 11, 2010 @ 10:09
    Chris

Just as a reference: I found this blog post about fixing the javascript errors after renaming the umbraco admin path. This method uses url rewriting for the javascript files, but I think the css code still needs a manual change.

http://blogs.thesitedoctor.co.uk/tim/CommentView,guid,cf6f0226-db49-460d-8de9-7ab3075d6e84.aspx

I hope this is useful to anyone checking out this forum topic, although personally I would avoid renaming the admin path until there is a worry free solution.

Chris

• montana 42 posts 63 karma points
    Aug 26, 2010 @ 00:51
    montana

@rich

yeah. that doesn't seem to work.

• Dhiren 59 posts 201 karma points
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 07:20
    Dhiren

Not sure if this is similler to this, but i changed my umbracoPath value to 'umbraco1'. And my all forms stopped working.

Please suggest.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2015 @ 08:53
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Dhiren and welcome to our :)

What is your reason for needing to change the Umbraco path? It's not as easy as it looks at the moment so if you need to get your forms etc. working again then you should change the value back to the original.

/Jan

• Dhiren 59 posts 201 karma points
    Mar 17, 2015 @ 11:28
    Dhiren

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I changed my umbracoPath & umbracoResolvedPaths and changed way of submitting form by taking umbracoPath value, it started working.
    Reason behind changing umbracoPath is to stop allowing access to any public user. If is there any other way, please suggest.

Thanks,
    Dhiren 

• Hywel Rees 56 posts 224 karma points
    Jul 02, 2015 @ 16:11
    Hywel Rees

I'm also looking to achieve this.

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jul 03, 2015 @ 08:04
    Rik Helsen

I suspect that even if you get the core to work this way, you'll probably have to double check every single package you install(ed)

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Dec 05, 2015 @ 08:37
    Tommy Enger

Any recommended way of changing the Umbraco admin URL on V7 or is it not supported?

Any support for 2 factor authentication?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 05, 2015 @ 09:53
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tommy,

Using a rewrite rule is the base way, based on this http://tcmorris.net/blog/custom-domain-for-umbraco/ article this rule should work,

<rewrite>
            <rules>
                <!-- Restrict access to Umbraco -->
                <rule name="Restrict access" stopProcessing="true">
                    <match url="umbraco(?!/Surface/)(?!/Api/)(?!/api/)(?!/webservices/)" />
                    <conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAny" trackAllCaptures="false">
                        <add input="{HTTP_HOST}" pattern="(([^.]+)\.)?admin.example\.com" negate="true" />
                    </conditions>
                    <action type="Redirect" url="/not-found/" appendQueryString="false" />
                </rule>
            </rules>
        </rewrite>

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Mike Beale 38 posts 132 karma points
    Jul 20, 2017 @ 07:48
    Mike Beale

This is working for us with Umbraco 7.3.0

Have been trying various ways to rename the /umbraco folder but there was always something that wouldn't work, even some parts of Umbraco seem to be hard coded to /umbraco.

• Bobi 346 posts 950 karma points
    Mar 06, 2017 @ 07:02
    Bobi

Hi,

What is the correct way to do this with Umbraco 7.5.10? I just want to change the admin panel url to a custom one (i.e. www.site.com/umbraco to www.site.com/custom).

It looks like the urlrewriting.config is out-dated, per the following written in that file

URLRewriting.net is obsolete and will be removed from Umbraco in the future.
        If you want to do rewrites, make sure to use IIS URL rewrite: https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite
        The advantage of using IIS rewrite is that it is much faster, much less CPU intensive and much less memory intensive.

Any help would be great.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft