Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Skrinak 272 posts 327 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 20:09
    Kyle Skrinak

Reality check on what is a reasonable SLA for a host

I've just been informed that for $40/month, I need to create a help support ticket to either determine my folder and file permissions or to set them. Is this normal for a .NET hosting provider? It seems unreasonable.

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 20:16
    skiltz

Ususally with webhosting you can use their control panel to set permissions on a directory??? Do they not have something you can log into?  Softsyshosting.com  if you are thinking of changing.

Nov 02, 2009 @ 21:06
    Kyle Skrinak

Yes, that is correct; I kid you not.

Here's from their tech support;

"You would have to open a ticket with us to change any permissions or inquire about their current status. This functionality does not exist with our .Net Professional servers."

This is the client's web hosting service and they aren't changing.

So, is this an unreasonable service level at $40/month?

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 21:20
    skiltz

Probably not.  I've dealt with similar situations in the past.  If you open a ticket and they answer and resolve it in a timely manner then thats probably fine.  Its when it comes to weekends and holidays and they have no support staff working and you have to wait until the monday it becomes really annoying.

Nov 02, 2009 @ 21:28
    Kyle Skrinak

Their tech support is ALWAYS extremely responsive; I continue to give them high praise for that.

Much thanks for your perspective!

• bob baty-barr 1180 posts 1294 karma points MVP
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 23:43
    bob baty-barr

for 40 bucks a month, you should have some sort of remote access to set  your own permissions... either that, or i need to raise my rates... doh!

Nov 03, 2009 @ 01:37
    Kyle Skrinak

I think it's outrageous, but I'm basically a LAMP guy. I don't see the memory, permissions and functionality issues in LAMP-land that I'm seeing with .NET — but please understand. I presuming I'm wrong and I'd love to hear what is considered mainstream, as I do think umbraco is awesome.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft