Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike Clark 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 20:35
    Mike Clark

Cassini install issue on System.Web.Extensions

I am trying to install on XP using the Cassini install method described in InstallGuideEmbedded.pdf, and the immediate thing that pops up is a yellow screen, apparently due to AJAX (except Visual Studio 2008 and AJAX is installed on this machine).  In the web.config.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Line 97:       <assemblies>
    Line 98:         <!-- ASPNETAJAX -->
    Line 99:         <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    Line 100:        <add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
    Line 101:        <add assembly="System.Web.Extensions.Design, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral,

I don't seem to have System.Web.Extensions v1.0.61025.0 (or that version of System.Web.Extensions.Design).  I do have version 3.5.0.0, runtime version v2.0.50727.  Earlier I tried changing Version=1.0.61025.0 to Version=3.5.0.0, and it got past that error and found another one that made absolutely no sense (don't remember what it was at this point).  What is up with this, anyway?

As an aside, note that I am running Screwturn Wiki Desktop Edition (which uses a version of Cassini) on this machine.  Does this interfere?  If I shut down the Screwturn server it changes nothing: I get the same error, so don't see what the problem with it could be.

Would I be better off putting Umbraco on IIS on this machine?

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 22:48
    Aaron Powell

You either need to have ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0 installed (http://www.asp.net/ajax/downloads/archive/ ) or set up assembly bindings in your web.config to redirect the 1.* AJAX extensions to the 3.5 AJAX extensions.

Umbraco < 4.1 was compiled against the .NET 2.0 framework. Umbraco 4.1 will use .NET 3.5

• Mike Clark 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 02, 2009 @ 23:58
    Mike Clark

I was resisting your first suggestion (installing extensions 1.0) since the new dev machine I'm using was already to 3.5 and didn't have 1.0 installed, and I didn't really want to back-rev.  But after attempting bindingRedirect (that I couldn't make work, see below), I finally took your first suggestion and installed AJAX extenstions 1.0.  After doing this and restarting the install, it all pretty much went OK.  Although I first tried to use my local Sql Server instance instead of the VistaDB database, and that of course bombed.  So now I am a happy camper.  Thanks!

Now to the attempt to redirect assembly bindings...

I must not know how to do bindingRedirect correctly.  I first modified the web.config to point at v3.5.0.0 in all cases, and that fixed the immediate problem, but the next problem was that the default.aspx.cs code-behind was still pointing at the earlier assemblies, so I placed the following bindingRedirect in the web.config.  But it doesn't recognize it.  Perhaps I am coding the redirect incorrectly:

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" Culture="neutral" PublicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35"  />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.61025.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" Culture="neutral" PublicKeyToken="31BF3856AD364E35"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.61025.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>

This is actually coded per MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/twy1dw1e.aspx so I don't what the problem could be.  If you or anyone has any comment as to this attempt, it would be welcome, but as I said above, I did get Umbraco running on the local machine, so I'm more-or-less happy.

• Michael Risser 1 post 21 karma points
    Dec 22, 2009 @ 00:27
    Michael Risser

I had the same basic issue install Umbraco on Vista/IIS7/ASP.NET 3.5. Creating a new web site in VS2008 and allowing it to update the website to ASP.NET 3.5 solved the problem for me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft