Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Euan Rae 11 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 02:13
    Euan Rae

Upgrade to V4 - Templates not changed to ASP.NET Masterpages

Hi,

I've just upgraded an existing umbraco 3.0.6 site to umbraco 4.0.1, the upgrade wizard appeared and it went through the 5 steps without any obvious hassle.  The only issue I am having is that the templates have not been changed into masterpage files, they're still the old umbraco v3.x templates, and when i create a new template it, it's using the old umbraco 3.x templates.

I've tried running the upgrade on a staging environment as welll as on my local machine; the upgrade wizard appears to run smoothly but the templates are not being upgraded.

Has anyone else come across this issue/know it's cause and know how to fix it?

Cheers

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 02:18
    skiltz

I presume you copied accross the masterpages folder and set the correct permissions?

Nov 05, 2009 @ 02:33
    Euan Rae

Yep, the masterpages folder is there, and I gave necessary permissions to NETWORK_SERVICE / ASP_NET. 

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 03:32
    Aaron Powell

check the log table, see if it has anything indicated.

it's possible that not all the files were copied. Also, why didn't you upgrade to 4.0.2.1?

Nov 05, 2009 @ 05:06
    Euan Rae

there's nothing obvious in the log table.  which files wouldn't have been copied?

I didn't upgrade to v 4.0.2.1 because I wasn't sure if you could go straight to it from 3.0.6.  I have since upgraded to 4.0.2.1 but it still hasn't resolved the issue.  Does anyone know which step of the wizard the upgrade on the templates are performed - I don't remember any step that indicates when this is done, it's more confirming DB details, running scripts and checking file permissions?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Nov 05, 2009 @ 08:19
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Check your umbraco.config. Does it have a line: <useAspNetMasterPages>true</useAspNetMasterPages>?

HTH,

PeterD

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 15, 2009 @ 02:36
    Steven Wilber

This might help someone else if future - it is not quite relevant to this thread, but will probably be found.

Before upgrading any site from v3 to v4 make sure that you remove any colons ( : ) from the template alias names. The alias names are used to create the masterpage file names and of course a colon, and in fact any other bad character in file names causes the process to fail without any message.

I had a lot of templates with alias such as:

Page: Master
    Content: Snippet
    etc.

I renamed them to:

tp_page_master
    tp_content_snippet
    etc.

I not tested the conversion again yet and I have run out of time today, but I will hopefully post my success here tomorrow. I've registed the bug in CodePlex

Cheers

Steve

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 21:58
    Steven Wilber

Just to follow up - that was the problem.

Cheers

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft