Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Theo 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 02:14
    Theo

Newbie Question - SQL Server

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:161; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:161; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> My intension is to create a database driven site. The database already exists –it’s a SQL Server database- and waits to be deployed on the web. Being a SQL database and having a long time experience with SQL Server the obvious choice is Visual Studio and the ASP.NET platform. I’m considering the use of either Web Forms, MVC , and Umbraco. <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:161; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:161; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Being a newbie on Umbraco I’d like to be given a clue whether using Umbraco is the right choice and if so what it might be the right approach in deploying this site.

Nov 10, 2009 @ 02:17
    Theo

Hi to every one!

My intension is to create a database driven site. The database already exists –it’s a SQL Server database- and waits to be deployed on the web. Being a SQL database and having a long time experience with SQL Server the obvious choice is Visual Studio and the ASP.NET platform. I’m considering the use of either Web Forms, MVC , and Umbraco.

Being a newbie on Umbraco I’d like to be given a clue whether using Umbraco is the right choice and if so what it might be the right approach in deploying this site.

Thanks in advance,

Theo

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 11:03
    Rich Green

Hi Theo,

Welcome to the forum.

Please share more details about what your site will do, is it a simple CMS site, e-commerce application, a blog, does it have membership? What is the site structure etc. 

At the moment it's very hard to answer your question, but yes Umbraco is 100% compatible with SQL Server and you can use ASP.NET code within Umbraco.

Rich

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Nov 10, 2009 @ 11:57
    jaygreasley

I guess the first question is, do you need a CMS? or are you thinking that Umbraco will replace asp.net (webforms or mvc)?

It won't replace them but it can host (for example) an asp.net user control on a page within the cms controlled site.

I hope this helps, feel free to expand on your requirements for a more definite answer though

Jay

Nov 10, 2009 @ 17:05
    Theo

Firstly I’d like to thank both of you for your response.

Well yes it will have membership.  The members will be allowed to input their data (company/name/address/etc) and also provide a presentation of their doings, along with some photos of their premises, products, etc. They will also be allowed to publish classifieds on a time basis (say once per month). The e-shop will provide e-commerce services for a category of these members. These members will be able to input the items they offer (along with price etc). A customer will be able to pick from the various products offered by those members and the goods would be send to the customers either directly from the members' premises or from a central point where all ordered items would be collected.

Thanks, Theo

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft