Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Mulder 79 posts 272 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2014 @ 20:46
    Robert Mulder

Deploying updates to Umbraco application

We are currently developing an Umbraco web application for a customer that contains considerable amounts of custom code (several custom treeviews, custom database tables, webservices, etc)

While the development is going smoothly we are struggling with planning future upgrades. In the past we would use the publishing feature from Visual Studio with Entity Framework Code First migrations, with Umbraco however there is quite a lot of synergy between things you work on in Visual Studio and things that are in the Umbraco database.

What is the suggested way to develop and upgrade Umbraco applications? After a site has been created and published to a live environment we set out to work on the next version of the application. This is ofcourse done against a local development database.

Generally this means we create new document types, new templates, etc, etc. These end up in the development database. Publishing the site from Visual Studio like we're used to means the view files will get published, but the Umbraco database will not.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, so I turn to you, the community, for advice. I've looked into Courier, maybe this is an option, except that it does not (yet) work with Umbraco 7.

• Kevin Jump 2327 posts 14813 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    May 09, 2014 @ 11:51
    Kevin Jump

Hi Robert

This is similar to the situation that i created uSync for - uSync, is a dll that sits on your umbraco installation and writes the DB elements (DocTypes, DataTypes etc) to disk. on app start up it looks in the folder and takes and files and writes them into the umbraco installaion, so it allows you to move these elements between installations.

It doesn't do content (uSync.ContentEdition does, but it's more experimental) and it wouldn't do any of your custom DB things. but it might help.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/usync

Kevin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft