Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Nov 11, 2009 @ 17:52
    Lachlann

Content Caching Issue

Hi I am running the following install of umbraco

umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657)

I am having problems when publishing content. The content is edited in the backend and then publsihed. In the front end the change will show up when the page is refreshed, if you then refresh the page again or navigate away from the page and then back again the change disapears Further refeshing then switches between old and new content untill after a while the content stabilises to the newer version.

There is no load balancing on the servers this is running on.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Lachlann

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 11, 2009 @ 18:04
    Rich Green

HI,

Are you sure that your browser is not caching the pages, which browser are you using?

Rich

• Lachlann 344 posts 626 karma points
    Nov 11, 2009 @ 18:09
    Lachlann

Hi there, I am using firefox 3.5 i have tried clearing my cache but the probelm persists.

L

• Remco Brosky 3 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 20:55
    Remco Brosky

I'm having the same problem on our corporate website. Our communication department publishes content and reviews the work. Everything looks fine. But on a different computer the old content is visible.

A sollution that works, but is not great, is deleting the data/umbraco.config file and restarting the webapplication.The cachefile gets refreshed and everything is back to normal.

I've never experienced this behaviour in the development environment. Could this be related to the environment our ISP is providing ? Or is there another reason why this keeps happening ?

great product by the way....

Remco

• Anton Krupnov 3 posts 22 karma points
    Dec 06, 2009 @ 23:33
    Anton Krupnov

+1, same problem I have on a new Umbraco version 4.0.3. :(

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Dec 07, 2009 @ 08:32
    Tommy Poulsen

I have had some weird caching issues on a specific host also, and although its not a fantastic solution, I solved it by disabling xml cache in the config/umbracoSettings.config

<XmlCacheEnabled>False</XmlCacheEnabled>
  • Len Dierickx 150 posts 92 karma points
    Jan 12, 2010 @ 15:58
    Len Dierickx

I have the same problem with version 4.0.2.1 and it happened a few weeks ago, seems around the same time that you have posted this message.

I can solve it by adding a different get request to the the page editcontent.aspx?id=1010&fresresh=12345678

The random id forces explorer to retrieve the page again with the necessary changes.

Did something get installed around that time?

It seems we installed a patch KB974417, maybe it is important?

• Len Dierickx 150 posts 92 karma points
    Jan 12, 2010 @ 16:10
    Len Dierickx

I have tested and the problem exists with IE7 and IE8.

Not with IE6 or any Firefox version (Mac / Windows) I can find. 

Jan 26, 2010 @ 22:02
    Remco Brosky

I'll try the "<XmlCacheEnabled>False</XmlCacheEnabled>" solution. I'm quite sure that the problems we had are not browser related, but backend related. Disable the XML cache sound the logical thing s to to. I'm not sure if this disables the memory cache also. Any ideas ?

regards

Remco

Jan 27, 2010 @ 21:35
    Remco Brosky

I've tried the XmlCacheEnabled setting, but the problem still exists. I think it is the memory cache that is causing this problem but I have no solution yet (other than an application reset). Strange thing is that is seemed to work ok for a while, but after looking at the website a few hours later, the old content appeared again. In the backend everything looked fine, but the frontend is showing the sitiuation before the last publication.

All ideas are welcome

regards

Remco

• Scott Hugh Alexandar Petersen 349 posts 164 karma points
    Jan 28, 2010 @ 17:10
    Scott Hugh Alexandar Petersen

I did something else because I have had the exact same problem:

<XmlCacheEnabled>False</XmlCacheEnabled>
    <ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache>False</ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache>

False them both just once, touch the web.config (open it and save it with no changes to rebuild).

Then look at your site and see that it works (hopefully) then True them both again.

It has worked for me on several projects. Hope it will help for you as well.

Regards,

Scott

• Michiel 5 posts 25 karma points
    Sep 21, 2010 @ 21:40
    Michiel

We encountered the same issue. None of the suggestions here helped. We thought we solved this by running in a dedicated app pool, but after a while the problem returned. Now recycling the app pool no longer helps either.

• Iain Martin 54 posts 98 karma points
    Jun 16, 2011 @ 18:16
    Iain Martin

<BUMP>

We are having this exact same issue. albeit only with images. I have set XmlCacheEnabled to False, ContinouslyUpdateXmlDiskCache=False and UmbracoLibraryCacheDuration = 0.

When we update an image on a page from the media library, it flicks between old and new for about half and hour or so before settling down and displaying the correct image on the page.

Any ideas - it is defo not a browser issue as we have tried it on x4 browsers on x5 machines - 20 browsers can't all be caching the same thing!

Cheers

Iain

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft