Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Henning Andersson 8 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 10:49
    Henning Andersson

ERROR CREATING CONTROL FOR NODETYPE: Media

Hi. Some days ago I updated our Umbraco 3 installation to the newest (4.0.3.1). Yesterday I discovered that I - in some ways - can't create new nodes in the Media tree. If I select the create button in the top of the media panel all works out well, but if I right click the node where I would like to create the childnode, and selects "Create" I get the following error message in the popup panel:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ERROR CREATING CONTROL FOR NODETYPE: Media
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
    Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: ERROR CREATING CONTROL FOR NODETYPE: Media
    Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 
    Stack Trace:
    [ArgumentException: ERROR CREATING CONTROL FOR NODETYPE: Media]
       umbraco.cms.presentation.Create.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +415
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Anyone got any help to solve the problem?! Thanks!

• Lefteris 89 posts 42 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 15:22
    Lefteris

In you database locate the table umbracoAppTree.

Then locate the row with 'TreeAlias' column that has 'Media' value.

Make it 'media' with small 'm'

• Henning Andersson 8 posts 23 karma points
    Nov 12, 2009 @ 15:47
    Henning Andersson

Thanks. That solved the issue... Any "upgrade instructions" that I had missed?!?

• Filip Lundby 128 posts 149 karma points
    Nov 18, 2009 @ 10:18
    Filip Lundby

This didn't work for me. Instead I did this:

1. open the UI.xml (located in /umbraco/config/create)
    2. search for the node with alias 'media',
    3. change the alias from 'media' to 'Media' (first letter must be capital).
    4. save the UI.xml
    5. restart the website (to make sure the new UI.xml is loaded)

Source: http://www.codeplex.com/umbraco/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=20341

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 18:03
    Chris Houston

I just came across this problem as well, thanks for posting the answer :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Steven Wilber 103 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 04, 2009 @ 03:15
    Steven Wilber

Changing the UI.xml worked for me, but I don't know what happened as the system has been working fine.

Additionally however my media folder is now titled "Medier" instead of Media, so something has happened to my system.

Strange

Steven

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Jan 22, 2010 @ 14:28
    Andrew

Yep - mines also called medier. How do we change it? This was an issue from upgrading 3.06 to 4.03. This is 4.03 specific as I recently did an upgraded to 4.02 and this did not happen. I found this upgrade a lot more "buggy" than previously. Had a couple of issues, but nothing major, and i was up and running in no time at all

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Jan 25, 2010 @ 14:29
    Andrew

Hi - back again - I have changed the database and the ui.xml. restarted the website  and it worked for a while and then it stopped and I started getting the error again. Any other ideas? I would also like to reanme the Medier to Media

• Ken Mark 82 posts 94 karma points
    Mar 29, 2010 @ 11:22
    Ken Mark

As I understand it you have to choose one method not both. Database method is better as it's better for future versions of Umbraco.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft