Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dewi 12 posts 32 karma points
    May 21, 2014 @ 04:42
    dewi

Multiple website, multiple domains, one company, one umbraco instalation

Hi Umbraco,

First thing first, I apologise if there is already similar topic here in the forum. But it seems I couldn't find the answer that I need.

My company wants to run multiple websites such as;

www.mycompany.com

www.mycompany.com.au

www.mycompany.com.nz

www.mycompanyvirtualmembership.com

They are all different website and will have different contents especially for the last one.

Currently I'm running one website in one Umbraco installation.

Is it possible to organise those all in one Umbraco roof?

Thanks very much.

Any response is highly appreciated.

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 21, 2014 @ 08:15
    Dennis Aaen

Hi dewi,

When you are saying that the websites are all different website and will have different contents especially for the last one. I sounds to me that each website should have thir own Umbraco instans.

Normally the reason why people are running multiple websites in the same Umbraco installation, is because they can share the templates, and the document types between these sites so it would make sense to collect all your websites in one Umbraco installation that have the same design, or only small CSS changes so they can share templates and document type and so.

But to me it sounds like the sites you want to collect into one Umbraco installation, is different from each other, in content and design and maybe page types. So my advice would be collect the sites in the same Umbraco installation that could share templates, and so on, and make indvidual installations for the the rest.

And of course only collect sites into one Umbraco installation, if this the same company.

Hope my inputs can help you and make sense.

/Dennis

May 22, 2014 @ 00:58
    dewi

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the reply.

Okay I get what you mean. But for the first 3 websites they would share the templates a lot. Then is it possible to have them in one Umbraco instalation?

I would like them to have different domain as well like I said ealier.

www.mycompany.com

www.mycompany.com.au

www.mycompany.com.nz

Not something like subdomain; nothing like this --> au.mycompany.com and nz.mycompany.com

Thanks

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 22, 2014 @ 01:13
    Nicholas Westby

Hi Dewi,

Yes, that can be easily done. Just create 4 homepage nodes in the content tree and assign a domain for each of them (right click on each node and select "culture and hostnames" or similar, depending on your version of Umbraco).

As long as you have your DNS setup to go to that server, Umbraco will intelligently pick the correct site based on the domain assigned to each node.

As far as the reason to host multiple websites under a single Umbraco installations, there can be many reasons. To reduce hosting costs is one example, so feel free to host multiple sites if it makes sense for you (keeping in mind that any issues with one site may affect the other sites).

May 22, 2014 @ 01:19
    dewi

Hi Nicholas,

Many thanks for your comment..! That's all I need...

Now If you know good tutorial on how to do that, it would be so much appreciated. :) :)

Regards

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 22, 2014 @ 03:20
  • Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 22, 2014 @ 08:07
    Dennis Aaen

Hi dewi,

Here is some video tutorials on how to work with multiple website and multiple domains in a single Umbraco installation. It requires that you have access to Umbraco TV, if you donĀ“t have it I would recommend you to buy access to it, there are a lot of good videos on how to work with stuff in Umbraco.

http://umbraco.tv/videos/implementor/multi-lingual/creating-a-multi-lingual-site/introduction/

And this video shows about structure and how to setup culture and hostnames.

http://umbraco.tv/videos/implementor/multi-lingual/creating-a-multi-lingual-site/assigning-languages/

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft