Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daithi O'D 10 posts 40 karma points
    May 23, 2014 @ 13:02
    Daithi O'D

Pages not found on server

Hi all,

I have set up and installed Umbraco 6.1.6 which works perfectly on localhost. I have to use 6.1.6 as my server only has .NET 4 installed.

However, after publishing the files to my server The Homepage works, but the links to the other pages don't. Logging into the Umbraco back end, everything seems to work as expected, except again when I try to preview a page then it cannot be found.

I have tried re-publishing the entire site, and I have also ensured the pages have a template chosen.

Has anyone any clue as to what is going wrong? 

Cheers.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 23, 2014 @ 13:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi there

Have you tried to simply right click the "CONTENT" node and the click "Republish entire site". This refreshes the umbraco.config so all nodes should be accessible.

I'm guessing you're using the same database on your local machine as on your server?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

May 23, 2014 @ 14:00
    Daithi O'D

Hi Jan, thanks for the response.

Yes, I have tried that but the same problem exists.  And also, it is the same database that works locally. 

Would there maybe be something in the web.config that could cause the problem?

May 23, 2014 @ 14:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daithi

Don't think it's a web.config issue if you have not changed anything from your local setup apart from the connection string of course. But perhaps it's a server thing.

Is it a dedicated server or is it running on shared hosting? Could be a permission issue perhaps. Also try to publish all the pages on your server to see if it's some publication issue.

/Jan

May 23, 2014 @ 14:29
    Daithi O'D

Yes, it is an in-house dedicated server, although there are many web applications running of it.Umbraco is set up to run from a virtual directory within IIS if that makes a difference.

When you say "publish all the pages to your server", is there something that needs done beyond opening the page from the Content node and hitting "Save and Publish"? This is the first time i've set up Umbraco on a server so forgive my ignorance :)

EDIT - If I right click a page in the Content node, and choose 'Publish', a modal window appears and displays "Publishing in progress - please wait..." and doesn't never finishes.

May 23, 2014 @ 15:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daithi

Yes it was the option from the context menu I was after - Sounds like a permission issue to me.

However could you try and check the trace log to see if it reveals any entries marked with ERROR? You can find it here /app_data/logs.

And if you try publishing with the console log open does it then throw any javascript errors or anything in your console log?

/Jan

May 23, 2014 @ 15:38
    Daithi O'D

Jan, I think we're on the right track, with the console log open when publishing, the errors below are displayed. It looks as if it is missing the root directory from the URLS, there should be "/IT/'" between the domain name and "umbraco". Is there anywhere I can set the root of the website to be within the "IT" directory?

I much appreciate your help with us, just literally banged my head off a wall haha.

May 23, 2014 @ 15:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daithi

Hmm, not sure about the virtual directory setup. Have not tried that setup before. So I'm a bit uncertain how you have setup your site...

I take it that you have setup a hostname on the site, right? However I don't think that's the solution though.

/Jan

May 23, 2014 @ 16:20
    Daithi O'D

I just tried to setup the hostname by clicking on the site > Culture and Hostnames. When I add the domain name and press Save, the popup window redirects to the Page Cannot be Found again.

May 23, 2014 @ 16:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daithi

Yes that was also what I suspected would happen but worth the try - I'm clueless about this issue unfortunately. Hopefully some of the other bright minds in here has a clue.

/Jan

May 23, 2014 @ 17:23
    Daithi O'D

Here is hoping! I'll keep perservering meanwhile. Thanks again Jan.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft