Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ayo Adesina 442 posts 1035 karma points
    May 24, 2014 @ 15:14
    Ayo Adesina

VERY ANNOYING - Installing Umbraco 7 from WebMatrix

When installing Umbraco 7 using the Web Gallery from web-matrix during the installation it asks what kind of database do you want to use for Umbraco, so it gives you two options SQL CE and MS SQL SERVER (if you have it installed)

Now if you select MS SQL during the installation it will create a database on your local machine and and the end give you the username, databasename and password. 

Then you are directed to install umbrco screen where you put in your user name and password for your umbraco back office now...this is the bit that is VERY ANNOYING...

if you click install... umbraco will then install using SQL CE creating a database file, to use the MS SQL server database you have to click customise and then enter the information that the previous web matrix screen gave you, this is STUPID...I clicked install with out clicking customise...........when you click customise you also have the option to use a remote database.... which is what I actually want...

My point is... you should configure the database is ONE PLACE... either in the web-matrix screens or in the browser after umbraco has been installed or at least it should copy the detials from the Web Martix screens in to the web install screen....

I know after a while most people will click the customise button and all will be revealed.... but this is just really crap... could have been done alot better. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 24, 2014 @ 15:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ayo

I can see that the scenario is really annoying if you want to start out on a MSSQL database. And I'm sure that the HQ are willing to listen to inputs on how to improve the installation experience, which they have been worked really hard on doing.

I understand your frustrations and ranting is ok as long as it turns into something constructive to improve things. So instead of just saying "But this is just really crap... Could have been a lot better" then it would be really helpful if you gave some examples on how the installer could be improved.

I personally find that the "customize" option is way to anonymous since it's easy to miss that option since it's just a text, which is not very obvious. When I find things like these that really frustrate me the best thing I can do is to file an issue at the issue tracker about it suggesting how things can be improved the better instead of using harsh language, which does not benefit anyone :) (But as I mentioned it's valid to let of some steam from time to time).

I hope you're willing to create an issue and provide some useful feedback on how to improve things - That will earn you a lot of respect and community love.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft