Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arvind 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 10:52
    Arvind

help required - umbraco deployment in azure websites and sql azure

Hi,

I am new to umbraco and I tried to create an application using it . I created an empty mvc application in visual studio 2013 and add UmbracoCms nuget package. When I ran the app it asked for installation and is successfully installed  in a local SQL CE database. 

I added the required Controller ( inheriting SurfaceController) and the model required in my partial view . The project compiled and the page worked fine.

Now I need to deploy this site to Microsoft azurewebsites. When I publish the site from visual studio publish option(I specify the website name, sql azure db name and credentials ) to azure the whole publish process gets successfully done. When I browse the site it goes the page that reads "Looks like there's still work to do" and when I click the "Set up your new website" button it goes to the login page "http://XXXXX.azurewebsites.net/umbraco#/login/false". I don't have the credentials since this is a new deployment and I also tried the local one but it did not work either. I believe that the sql azure db is not setup for this. I was of the opinion that when I run the site it willl take me to the installation page . But it did not.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

• Magnus Janson 14 posts 74 karma points
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 11:45
    Magnus Janson

Hi Arvind,

I am also a new to these things. With that said, here is how I did it.

1. Create an Azure SQL db.
    2. When running the Umbraco site for the first time, select Customize (or something like that). Then you can select your Azure SQL as your Umbraco db. All details about the database are found in the Azure portal.
    3. Create an Azure website. In my case, I set it up to use my newly created SQL, but I am not sure that is nessesary since the Umbraco site is already configured.
    4. Publish your site. Then it should work.

Make sure all files you need for publishing are actually included in your project. In my case, using the Umbraco starter-kit site, cshtml and css files didn't get published so the result in the browser was a completely blank screen.

Best from Magnus

Jun 07, 2014 @ 12:21
    Arvind

Thanks Magnus.

My questions.

1) I can create a blank sql azure db. 2)Now how to run the site for the first time. ? I have already done that a while ago and now I have all my views, templates etc. did u mean create a new azure website and select the umbraco cms template from the gallery available in the azure portal ?? 3)When i publish from visual studio I can just specify a azure website name and it gets created . So i guess i don't need to create a new site. in fact it is the same with the sql azure db.

• Fabio Milheiro 74 posts 136 karma points
    Jun 09, 2014 @ 22:31
    Fabio Milheiro

I started having this problem after activating the umbracoUseSSL app setting to true.

<add key="umbracoUseSSL" value="true" />

Really weird... There are two ways to get this back to work:

1) Deactivate the option again - sucks.

2) Use https:// at the start of the url instead of http://

• Ben Weeks 14 posts 35 karma points
    Aug 11, 2015 @ 15:20
    Ben Weeks

Hi Arvind,

I am intrigued if you managed to resolve this issue? I am seeing the same thing.

Regards,

Ben

Aug 11, 2015 @ 17:27
    Arvind

Hi Ben,

It has been a long time since I worked on this. I am trying to recollect what I did to fix this. I guess I created a blank db in sql azure and then from the local umbraco site I created the templates and stuff connecting to that db and then published the site alone and the db remained. I am sorry if this answer did not really help you resolve the issue.

Thanks.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft