Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Magnus Janson 14 posts 74 karma points
    Jun 07, 2014 @ 11:30
    Magnus Janson

Umbraco starter-kit files not included in project

When installing Umbraco starter-kit site in Visual Studio 2013, some vital files (e.g., cshtml and css) are not included in project. Such a file is only visible when I select 'Show All Files' in Solution Explorer and in its context menu I can choose to 'Include In Project'.

One consequence of this is that when I try to deploy the site (using Git locally, GitHub, or Web Deploy) on Azure (for example), files are missing and the site is blank. So I have to track what files need to be included in project in order to publish my site. Very annoying!

My question is: Why are these files not included in the project? Is there a reason?

Best from Magnus

Jun 07, 2014 @ 14:01
    Magnus Janson

Ok, so far I have manually included the following folders (with content) in the project and re-deployed to Azure:

/views/
    /css/
    /media/
    /umbraco/
    /umbraco_client/

but the deployed/published version is still incomplete, see attached image.

Can someone tell me what files are needed for publishing this site (Txt starter-kit) successfully?

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't this be straightforward?

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Jun 09, 2014 @ 19:02
    Matthew

Been there, done that. I think the answer is along the lines of: everyone has different needs so what would be straightforward for one user could cause a mess for another, therefore Umbraco only automates things for local/dev install/testing and very basic publishing. Once you bring VS (or any other advancement) into the picture, it is assumed you know what you want to do and how to do it with the tools you have chosen.

An example might be, depending on how deeply you add custom programming, you may need to include areas that an 'implementer' type such as myself is best off keeping my hands out of. Peeking in the upgrade docs can give a couple hints about what's necessary too.

That said, you're probably on the right track and a little more testing will tell you what else you might want to include.

One test you might try is to do an install directly into Azure with WebMatrix and see what's there, once you have it working to your satisfaction. Maybe try stripping it down as far as you can before it dies, just for reference.

A nice thing about Azure is you can fiddle a test site together and then dump it for very little cost and effort.

Jun 09, 2014 @ 21:24
    Magnus Janson

Thanks Matthew,

Obviously, the distribution is solely for local use. But that sort of sursprised me, since it started out really smooth with the NuGet installation that took about five minutes. But then I spent hours trying to figure out how to publish the site.

For future reference, umbraco.config did the trick.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft