Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joel 23 posts 108 karma points
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 06:42
    Joel

Error during installation: Access to the path web.config is denied.

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a new site running on Umbraco 7.1.4 on Windows 2008, running .net 4.5.

I've uploaded all the files from the zip of 7.1.4, setup the database, and started the install. The database connection works however on step 2 of the install, I'm met with the following error:

Error during installation

Access to the path 'C:\HostingSpaces\yoyo\wwwroot\web.config' is denied.

See the log for full details (logs can typically be found in the App_Data\Logs folder).

The AppPool is .net 4.0 (integrated), using NetworkService as the identity, it's running full trust. It's all the default/basic config, nothing special at all.

I've checked permissions on the wwwroot folder and it all looks fine. It's running the same permissions as other wwwroot folders from other sites on the same server.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong or point me in the right direction?

Jun 17, 2014 @ 08:19
    Joel

The only way I've figured out to get around this to start with is to assign write permissions to the NetworkService identity for the web.config file. When I do that, the install works fine.

Upon further investigation, it appears write permissions are required for most of the umbraco app! http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/files-and-folders/permissions

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Jun 18, 2014 @ 22:05
    Charles Afford

Yep that will do it :).  Are you using IIS or WebMatrix?

Charlie

Jun 19, 2014 @ 13:59
    Joel

It's all working fine now, thanks. It's just on IIS, I don't use webmatrix :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft