Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garrett Fisher 341 posts 496 karma points
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 19:18
    Garrett Fisher

Blank Database When Upgrading to 4.11.9?

Why?

I upgraded from 4.8.0 to 4.11.9 and was forced to create a new, blank database, but there are no instructions (that I came across) on how to get the content ported over from the old database.  All kinds of Null Pointer errors.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Garrett

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 25, 2014 @ 23:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Garret

That sounds a bit odd about the blank database? What approach have you taken so far? And have you consulted this documentation on how to upgrade? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jun 26, 2014 @ 02:11
    Garrett Fisher

Yes indeed-- I followed those instructions from 4.7.2 o 4.8.0 and since that was successful and saw no problems, i started going ahead with the 4.11.9 upgrade, having read that 4.10 had some security issues.  When I reached the database step of the upgrade after copying all the files, (/install/?installStep=database), my connection details were all fileld in from the web.config, and I pressed the "Proceed" or whatever button, and it just kept refreshing but with no error -- on other words, I was not able to move forward from this screen.  So I tried the "I'm an advanced user, let me put in the connection string" option and put in the string myself.  Same thing. Then when I read the instructive text in detail, the first option, the default-selected option, indeed said that i needed a BLANK database to install the software.  So I assumed that this was the problem, created a new database, gave that user the appropriate rights, and then filled in the new database name and the "Proceed" button worked in this case and it finished -- but with an YSOD on the front end and all kinds of errors in the backoffice.  I then re-read all the instructions and release notes and saw nothing about how to migrate the data so I backed out the upgrade afterwards.  What is the "I want to use SQL CE 4, a free, quick-and-simple embedded database" option?  I would assume if I am wanting to upgrade an existing site, the advanced / connection string option would be right.  And the connection string came right from a working web.config.  What am I missing here?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Garrett

Jun 26, 2014 @ 02:19
    Garrett Fisher

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Jun 26, 2014 @ 09:08
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Garret

Hmm, It's weird that you got the option to choose the database. When upgrading and acessing the frontend of your website, when files are copied, merged and altered you should simply see the install screen but with a "upgrade" that makes database changes (If there are any) and update the new version number in the web.config file.

I hope you did a backup of the solution before trying to do the upgrade? I think that perhaps it's a good idea to start over - And this time try doing the step-by-step process. It does not matter that there are some issues with 4.10 since you will not launch the site on this version because you're going to upgrade from 4.10 to 4.11 anyway. But you will need to run the path fixup script as mentioned in the version specific documentation.

I think the reason why it acts up is perhaps because of some missing alterations to some files somewhere - It's hard to figure out when one can't "See it".

I hope these pointers help.

/Jan

Jun 26, 2014 @ 13:38
    Garrett Fisher

Thanks again for staying with me here.

Are you suggesting I go through each version?  Also, what is the "I want to use SQL CE 4, a free, quick-and-simple embedded database" option?  Is that what I am already doing, unbeknownst to me?  I had no option to use the existing database.

//Garrett

Jun 26, 2014 @ 13:39
    Garrett Fisher

Also, how do I install the path fixup script?  Is this something you install in the Packages section of the Developer tab in the CMS UI?

//Garrett

Jun 26, 2014 @ 21:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Garrett

All you need to know should be described here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/version-specific - There is a link to the path fixup package, which you will need to run after upgrading to 4.11.10 I think - It will install a dashboard on the "Developer" section from, which you will be able to run the script and follow the instructions.

In short, it's a package you need to install - After install you can access the dashboard.

Yes I'm suggesting you upgrade step-by-step according to the guide above.

the SQL CE database is an embedded database, which one can choose to use when installing Umbraco. Usually it's used for getting up and running fast and typically one will migrate from SQL CE to MSSQL before going into production since SQL CE is a bit slower than MSSQL etc.

You should not get the installer where you have to choose the database though - it should just run an upgrade script in the background if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jun 26, 2014 @ 21:38
    Garrett Fisher

In any version greater than 4.8.0, including 4.9.0, I am forced to choose an option from the radio buttons, and none of them are the right option.  The last attempt (I have done 4 times now) I chose Advanced, entered the connection string, and then it said it was installing an empty instance of Umbraco.  And it stoppde at 35% indefinitely and my DB was all messed up so I ended up having to restore from the BAK file.  And I can never get past the License phase of the installer either, the page just refreshes.  In order to get tot he database phase I had to just type it into the URL.  WTF?  How is the upgrade process SUPPOSED to go?  

//Garrett

Jun 26, 2014 @ 21:45
    Garrett Fisher

After 4.9 or 4.10 upgrades, I just get errors from the front end and I'm not able to solve them because they're just general "not set to an instance of an object" etc.  And I am following the general and version-specific instructions diligently.  However, I do wish I knew what the changes are to the config files in each -- looking at them in Merge is way too confusing because I have added way too many things specific to this instance.  The installer has not ever changed web.config so far, actually.  I always have had to change the version number manually.  Could this be a clue?

I have some screenshots to send you if you have a way to do that.

//garrett

Jul 08, 2014 @ 18:42
    Garrett Fisher

Jan--

After I put in the connection string on the database phase of the upgrade from 4.8.0 to 4.10.0 and click "Install" the page just refreshes.  I cannot get past this point.  Please help, anyone out there, who has been stuck on the database phase of this upgrade?

Thanks,

Garrett

Jul 08, 2014 @ 20:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Garrett

I would love to help you out but it requires me to sit down and try and do the same steps as you're doing and currently I can't fit it in my schedule. I'm sorry that it's such a frustrating experience and I wish I could figure out what's going on in your end.

If I find the time I'll try to run the upgrade process but I can't guarantee anything. Fingers crossed that someone else can figure out why you're seeing those issues.

One last thing I would like to know though - What browser are you using when trying to do the upgrade?

/Jan

Jul 09, 2014 @ 21:13
    Garrett Fisher

Thanks for trying, Jan.  I have been using Firefox but I tried it in IE as well.  Same deal.  I thought it was maybe permissions on web.config at one point but that's not it.  That said, I ALWAYS have to change the Umbraco version number in that file manually -- and then the form moves forward -- so it seems that is related.  But I always get the database screen and cannot get past it.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft