Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• nrek 15 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:27
    nrek

Umbraco and Contour on Shared Hosting

I've been posting and searching for a solution to why on god's green earth I wasn't able to install contact forms on Umbraco. There were a ton of factors that went into this post, and about 250 hours spent debugging, reading, and even getting a hold of Niels (@umbraco on twitter), and a few others in the Umbraco community who ultimately led me to find the solution (specifically @netaddicts and @readingdancer). I'm posting this in case anyone else has the problems I had.

Here's the environment and ingredients:

1. Shared Web Hosting service (SoftSys, who is awesome & their support team is FAST, seriously)
    2. SQL Server 2008
    3. Umbraco 4.0.2.1
    4. Umbraco Contour

The Errors -

Database could not be installed + 
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'dbo.cmsMacroPropertyType'. at...

And

Formpicker could not be added + 
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteNonQuery ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint
    "FK_umbracoMacroProperty_umbracoMacroPropertyType".

What I did wrong:

Before you install anything, back when you create your database and database user? That database user you create has got to have the "dbo" schema assigned to it. This was actually mentioned to me by @netaddicts (on twitter) and Niels via email; and darn it if I didn't know what he meant by that earlier today...

1. Open up Microsoft SQL Server Management (Studio Express)
    2. Browse to your database
    3. Expand "Security"
    4. Expand "Users"
    5. Select the User you created
    6. Change the "Default Schema" to be "dbo"
    7. .... Now, you can install Umbraco
    8. .... Then you'll be able to install Contour

Hopefully this post finds other rusty or noobish or SQLy-inept folks before it costs you the amount of time it took me to get to this point.

Additionally, I tried Runway Contact Forms, doc2form 2.0, AutoForm Plus, Axendo and Essence Design Generic Email Form 2.3; not to out any of those solutions - as I could not get them to work on my previous web host, Contour is by far the most user friendly form interface for creating, altering, and embedding forms I came across in all my hours of trial.

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:35
    Chris Houston

Hi Nrek,

Glad to hear you finally got it sorted out :)

I was beginning to think on of us would have to jump on a plane over to SanDiego to help you ;-)

Cheers,

Chris

• Comment author was deleted

Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:38

@nrek, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We'll update the sql script so these errors don't happen anymore.

• nrek 15 posts 36 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:40
    nrek

Chris - If you ever do, man - I owe you a scotch. Seriously.

Tim! That would be awesome. I can see someone trying to install Contour on an established shared host install w/o the option to mess with their schema... that would truly not be fun.

• Niels Kristiansen 166 posts 382 karma points
    Nov 21, 2009 @ 19:41
    Niels Kristiansen

Hi Tim,

I also have some problems with the installation. I try to install the Contour on a shared hosting as well and got the same error as above.

Where can we find the sql update when it's ready?

/Niels

• Niels Kristiansen 166 posts 382 karma points
    Nov 21, 2009 @ 23:40
    Niels Kristiansen

By the way, it doesn't look like I can change the "Default Schema" to "dbo" through my pretty limited version of a SQL manager via Plesk. :(

• Per Ploug 865 posts 3491 karma points MVP admin
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 12:18
    Per Ploug

Hi Niels

There is a manual installation package which contains the sql script file here: 

http://umbraco.org/products/umbraco-contour/help-and-support/installation-guide

Also the newly released version 1.0.5 have this issue fixed so you should be able to install it directly from the repo now.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft