Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 11:50
    Petr Snobelt

Umbraco on Hyper-V VPS-Hosting, memory

Hello, is there anyone, who succesfully use Hyper-V hosting for more umbraco sites? I'd like to move more hosted sites to one VPS-Hosting, but I'm specially aware of memory. Is 512MB enough?

Petr

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 12:53
    Roel Snetselaar

The limits will depend on how busy your sites are and how many custom controls and stuff you have implemented.

For starters I would make sure to run all the Umbraco websites in the same application pool. .NET will start a worker process for every application pool and every worker process needs a reserved amount of memory.

Downside of this approah: if one of your websites goes down and your app pool crashes, all of your websites will go down and restart.

However you will save memory resources when using this approach.

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 21:50
    Dirk De Grave

512Mb is not enough! I think I've seen Casey talking about each site consuming for about 70/80 Mb of RAM (not sure if that included sql server or not)?

I'd opt for at least a 1Gb of RAM machine and making sure to limit sql server resources to a maximum, otherwise it'll eat all RAM available.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Nov 21, 2009 @ 15:49
    Roel Snetselaar

You could also schedule an automatic application pool recycle every once or twice per 24 hours. It's not very elegant but it will free up some memory.

• Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    Nov 22, 2009 @ 09:06
    Casey Neehouse

The answer is... depends.

Windows requires about 400 MB itself.  If you are running SQL Server locally as well, expect about 100 MB at least, with another 20 or so per db. 

With a single site, I would go with at least 768, but typically 1GB will do you more justice..

Be sure to limit SQL Server if you are using it, otherwise, it will try to overtake your system.

Case

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft