Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 23:34
    Stephen Davidson

Existing host question

Hey all,

just trying to get my head round umbraco....I have a dedicated server (server 2008) which currently hosts server sites.  Can i install Umbraco V4 without disrupting the existing sites?  I have two IP addresses and i guess i could allocate one of them to umbraco or is this even required?
    Thanks for reading.
    Stephen

• Gary 20 posts 44 karma points
    Nov 19, 2009 @ 23:41
    Gary

Hi Stephen,

If you're using host names than it shouldn't be an issue installing umbraco in it's own folder and setting it up as a new website using the same IP address as the others.

If the sites are virtual though then it's best to have it seperate.

Umbraco in essence is just a .Net based website. You don't have to "install" anything, just setup a website, copy the files across, setup some permissions on some folders and configure it.

Hope that helps!

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 00:03
    Stephen Davidson

thanks for the reply.  Currently all my existing sites are virtual using hostnames all on one of the IP's. For clarity i think i will setup Umbraco seperatly using the 2nd IP address.  Just to confirm that Umbraco must go in the wwwroot folder...?

Cheers,

S

• Gary 20 posts 44 karma points
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 00:29
    Gary

Sorry Stephen, I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "virtual using hostnames"? Maybe 2008 is different but in IIS 6 at least you can either create a new website with an IP address (and possibly a host header) or a virtual directory that uses the parent IP address and hostname (accessed by adding /directoryname to the website).

You can use the same IP address as long as the site you are creating is a "website" not a "virtual directory" and you set an appropriate host header (and obviously DNS entry).

The location of the files themselves can be anywhere on the system. You set the Home Directory in the properties of the site.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you've written?

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2009 @ 00:53
    Chris Houston

The easiest way to do an installation on Windows 2008 (IIS 7) is to use the web installer. As long as you follow the instructions and you don't add an application name this should set everything up correctly for you.

It does not matter where you install your websites as long as IIS points to the correct folder and you have setup the permissions correctly.

I create all my sites under the Inetpub folder, i.e. like this:

For a site called IceCreams.com I would create a directory:

c:\inetpub\IcecreamRoot\

You can have multiple websites all sharing the same IP address ( Umbraco or any other ASP.NET website, it really doesn't make any difference ) as long as the Umbraco installation is not a Virtual Directory.

You can map one or more domain name to the same site by right clicking on the website in IIS and clicking "EDIT BINDINGS" where you can map your domain name to the IP address. Obviously you need your DNS server to point this domain to the server, or if you are running things locally for testing you can setup the domain names in your windows Host file. ( If you don't know what I mean, I suggest you Google it.. you will find lots of information about using the hosts file )

Cheers,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft