Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Maziar Aflatoun 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 22, 2009 @ 23:31
    Maziar Aflatoun

Trying Umbraco for the first time - Source vs. Binary download

Hi,

I'm starting with a new company as a web operations manager soon and even though most of my work has been around custom code, I would really like to move towards a CMS solution and I've been reading a lot of great articles about Umbraco. I'm just not sure which of the following I need,

Umbraco Source Code download

or

Default without the source code?

Esentially we want to create sites for clients so they can update their pages as well as add some additional functionality maybe a page with custom code that connects to SalesForce API using C# and Web References to read information and insert the contents of a form submission into SalesForce? I'm guessing for this I don't need the source code right?

Also, based on everyone's experience how easily it to upgrade to newer versions of Umbraco down the road?

Thanks
    Maz

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 22, 2009 @ 23:50
    Chris Houston

Hi Maz,

You are right, you don't need the source code, the easiest way to install Umbraco is to use the Microsoft Web Platform Installer which is a wizard that will guide you through the steps of setting up Umbraco. In my experience it seems to work best on a Windows 2008 server or Window 7 / Vista. And it doesn't always play nicely on Windows XP.

Remember that Umbraco needs to run at the root of a website, so don't give it an application name when you do the installation. ( as mentioned in the wiki here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008 )

Cheers,

Chris

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft