Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hickoryFornander 32 posts 52 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 10:59
    hickoryFornander

Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database

Hi!

I am new to Umbraco and to sql servers, just trying to install it on my computer to learn how it works. But so far I have had some problems with the database. I have set up a database "umbraco" on sql server 2008 and created a login user. Got Umbraco down by using Wndows web installer, but I can not get it to install. First it gave me an error saying that it was not alllowed to create Tables (something about SQLHelper) , and short after that Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger started asking me if I wanted to debug. Got to the point of looking over the rights for the sql user, but now the error message has changed to "Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

Anyone who knows where I should start?

(I am also wondering if there is any problems using umraco on Windows 7?)

Would be great! :)

• Steven Horler 11 posts 57 karma points
    Jan 13, 2011 @ 11:12
    Steven Horler

The link below is the best place to start. No problems on Windows 7 either:

http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 13, 2011 @ 13:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Hickory

When using the webInstaller I don't think you need to setup a database for umbraco in advance. I think that might be the reason why it's failing. But I must admit that I usually also avoid the installer and install umbraco using the binaries from http://umbraco.codeplex.com

/Jan

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 13, 2011 @ 19:25
    Amir Khan

Have you tried connecting to the database with SQL Server Management Studio with the same credentials you are providing the installer? If you're able to connect that way, and can verify that you've set up the correct DB permissions for that user, you may want to check that the address of your SQL Server is correct...

-Amir

• Steven Horler 11 posts 57 karma points
    Jan 14, 2011 @ 18:00
    Steven Horler

Good point Amir,

I had an issue and realised that mixed mode authentication was NOT enabled on the server, and I had to right click on the server in SQL Management Studio, Properties, Security, and make sure SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode is set.

~Horls

• andrew barnett 1 post 21 karma points
    Jan 16, 2011 @ 14:32
    andrew barnett

I have had big problems with the installation from the start.  Ended up installing manually but despite proving that my umbraco database under sql 2008 could be connected to, Umbraco would not connect.  I ended up editing the web.config file and changing the 1st line under app settings to the following:

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="datalayer=SqlServer;server=TOSHIBA-AB\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=umbraco;user id=umbracouser;password=*****" />

then went back through the initial setup of umbraco (http:127.0.0.1).  This enabled be get past step.  There are still problems with the install because after installing the starter kit you can only finish the install (without an ASP error) by selecting no thanks to install a starter kit...  Not right guys.

Hopefully it will all be worth it.

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 15:56
    Amir Khan

Andrew, have you checked the file permissions for your Umbraco install? If they are incorrect the application may not be able to create the directories needed during package installation.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft