Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hickoryFornander 32 posts 52 karma points
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 10:59
    hickoryFornander

Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database

Hi!

I am new to Umbraco and to sql servers, just trying to install it on my computer to learn how it works. But so far I have had some problems with the database. I have set up a database "umbraco" on sql server 2008 and created a login user. Got Umbraco down by using Wndows web installer, but I can not get it to install. First it gave me an error saying that it was not alllowed to create Tables (something about SQLHelper) , and short after that Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger started asking me if I wanted to debug. Got to the point of looking over the rights for the sql user, but now the error message has changed to "Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

Anyone who knows where I should start?

(I am also wondering if there is any problems using umraco on Windows 7?)

Would be great! :)

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 23, 2009 @ 11:15
    Chris Houston

Hi,

You should not have problems installing on Windows 7.

If you already have SQL server installed, all you need so the main account details, make sure you can log into the SQL server with the details.

You do not need an actual database already created as the Umbraco installation will create a database for you, this might be the reason you are receiving the above errors.

When the installation asks for a database name, just give it a new name so that it can create a fresh database for you, that way you should not get permission issues.

Cheers,

Chris

Nov 24, 2009 @ 04:38
    hickoryFornander

Thank you for such a quick reply! Unfortunately I got everything on hold now, seems like there are other problems with this computer :S Gonna make a new try later this week! :D looking forward to that!

Meantimes, does anyone know how you can subscribe to Umbraco Tv as a private person (http://umbraco.org/documentation/videos/pricing), I am asked to fill in the VAT number. But as I do that (SE"my id number"01) I get an error message saying

"There seems to be a problem with your VAT number

We are very sorry, but the VAT number you provided did not validate with the European tax authorities.
    The most likely reason is that you provided the number in the wrong format.

You've set your country of origin to: Sweden so your VAT number should therefor start with: "SE".

So the complete VAT code will be something like this: SE12345678"

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!!

• ellen nichole 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 04:54
    ellen nichole

I’m a newbie here, thanks for sharing the information, because I’m a new one for umbraco.

Nov 30, 2009 @ 11:51
    hickoryFornander

Hi!

Now I am on to the installation again. I have got Umbraco to create a sql database. And I can see that the "umbracoDbDSN" settings in web config is okej, and I can see port 1433 is listening..(which it didn't before - got that much sorted! :D )

If I open Visual Web Developmer I can connect to the database. But I still get the message during the installStep "Database connection initialisation failed. The installer cannot connect to the database."

Anyone have any Idea of what I am doing wrong?

Dec 01, 2009 @ 03:08
    hickoryFornander

Okej! Now I am writing a reply for my own question (it is just so annoying to see questions without answers)

When installing umbraco make sure that you are using the right username for the database. I thought I had it right because I could connect to the database through Visual studio, but no. Once I got started to really log in to the database with sql server authentication I realized it did not have the permissions (but I had just marked every single one of them :S) Use the sa now.

(((((( Learned a lot during this period though :)

To see that a SQL server is running:

1, Press Start - All programs - Microsoft SQL Server 200x - Configuration Tools - SQL Server Configuration Manager - SQL Server Services

There you can see services running.

or

2, Press Start - Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - and scroll down to SQL server

Learned that port 1433 should be listening too. To see that - Press Start - Run - write cmd and then click OK - write netstat -an in the console. There you should see something like this: TCP 0.0.0.0:1433 and that it is LISTENING. If not, go into the Configuration manager again and under SQL Server Network Configuration there is something called Protocols for SQLEXPRESS. Right click on TCP/IP and choose properties. Enable it and write your IP address and port 1433. Then do NOT forget to restart the service (SQL Server Configuration Manager - SQL Server Services - right click on it and click restart). Now go back and see if the service is listening to the port. (http://www.lockergnome.com/sqlsquirrel/2008/01/16/locating-server-port-in-sql-server-2005/)

When this was done and the setup did not connect to the database I found out that one can have a look under the node <appSettings> and the umbracoDbDSN values, in umbraco web.config file (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot - everyone is talking about this file, but had no Idea where to look for it first) Of cource everything looked good here too, because the problem was as I mentioned earlier that I just didn't use the right username for the database :D ))))))))

Take care!

• Adam Nofsinger 3 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 07, 2010 @ 14:43
    Adam Nofsinger

I had a similar issue, ended up didn't have my SQL Server in Mixed-Authentication mode.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456

• Sudipta Banerjee 2 posts 23 karma points
    Aug 27, 2011 @ 18:44
    Sudipta Banerjee

I was also facing same issue.

Make sure to have write permission on web.config file in root.

Also give write permissions in

Directory: ./~/css
        Directory: ./~/config
        Directory: ./~/App_Data
        Directory: ./~/media
        Directory: ./~/masterpages
        Directory: ./~/macroScripts
        Directory: ./~/xslt
        Directory: ./~/usercontrols
        Directory: ./~/App_Data\preview
        Directory: ~/bin
        Directory: ~/umbraco
        Directory: ~/usercontrols
        Directory: ~/App_Data\packages

Cheers

Sudipta Banerjee

• Abie Helberg 4 posts 24 karma points
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 11:29
    Abie Helberg

As Sudipta, I found the same solution. I think the installer tries to write the credentials into the connection string in the web.config but can’t and then fails with the generic error. So it’s a file permissions issue not a database issues as such. I changed the connection string in the web.config and then used the advanced add your connection string manually option in the installer to get past this step and it completed successfully.

• Streety 358 posts 568 karma points
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 13:16
    Streety

I had the same problem and found the web.config was set to read only.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft