Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jake williamson 207 posts 872 karma points
    Jul 21, 2014 @ 13:36
    jake williamson

Umbraco fails when debug=false due to DependencyHandler.axd

hi out there,

this one has us foxed: new install of v7.1.4, works fine locally on our staging server.

however, once we upload it to the production site umbraco fails if debug mode is set to false.

all the permissions have been set correctly by the admin (it's a shared host) as outlined here but when we hit http://oursite.com/umbraco we just get a white screen.

checking activity in firebug shows a couple of interesting things:

DependencyHandler.axd

it seems 'DependencyHandler.axd' gets hit the first time and creates a '.cdC' file in this location:

/App_Data/TEMP/ClientDependency

but the 2nd request to actually load the created file 'aborts':

enter image description here

the web.config has both handler sections defined so iis6 and 7 are covered (just in case):

<httpHandlers>
        <remove verb="*" path="*.asmx" />
        <add verb="*" path="*.asmx" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false" />
        <add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false" />
        <add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false" />
        <add verb="*" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />
        <add verb="*" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />
        <add verb="*" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />
    </httpHandlers>

and

<handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">
    <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
    <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
    <remove name="ScriptResource" />
    <remove name="Channels" />
    <remove name="Channels_Word" />
    <remove name="ClientDependency" />
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
    <add verb="*" name="Channels" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />
    <add verb="*" name="Channels_Word" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />
    <add verb="*" name="ClientDependency" preCondition="integratedMode" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core" />
    </handlers>

we've search through the forum etc and can find some pointers (Insert link text here) but all solutions are for older versions, not v7x.

anyone had this before or have any ideas how to fix it?! we've worked round if for now by forcing the minification on the site and allowing the whole thing to run in debug mode but it's not ideal...

thanks for any suggestions!

jake

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 23, 2014 @ 08:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Did you happen to publish your temp folder? This guy seems to have the same problem: https://twitter.com/bieoe/status/491653963364573185

• jake williamson 207 posts 872 karma points
    Jul 25, 2014 @ 10:39
    jake williamson

hi sebastiaan,

thanks for the reply - interestingly, we did try that... the 'App_Data' wasn't uploaded but was created prior to the host applying the correct permissions to the site root.

we blew it away an couple of times and no joy. however, we got another email from them today saying another permissions change had been made so gave it another go.

this time the results are better - but still not great!

we can now reach http://oursite.com/umbraco however the 1st load threw up loads of console errors. deleting cookies appeared to fix that. however, when we log in, the wrapper interface loads (so nav down the left) but the dashboard fails to load - we get this message in a red box at the bottom of the page:

Request error: The URL returned a 404 (not found):
    views/directives/html/umb-panel.html

if we click into 'content' and navigate to a node, the screen fills up with red error message boxes, for example:

Request error: The URL returned a 404 (not found):
    views/propertyeditors/urllist/urllist.html 

so we reuploaded the umbraco and umbraco_client folders, cleared cache, deleted cookies and reloaded the site and it went mental!

enter image description here

i'ev a feeling many of the html files were in cache...

it feels like the site doesn't have the correct permissions and umbraco isn't recognising the site root and thinks it's at a higher level? the host has confirmed that everything is set up correctly...

we're trying to get remote access to the server so we can get in there and check things out but this one currently has us stumped!

• Chris Lord 15 posts 51 karma points
    Feb 20, 2015 @ 17:29
    Chris Lord

I am having this issue on production, have cleared client dependencies in temp folder, recycled app pool etc, error I am having is;

Uncaught ReferenceError: angular is not defined
    Uncaught ReferenceError: UmbClientMgr is not defined

Any ideas?

• Marc Meul 2 posts 24 karma points
    May 28, 2015 @ 10:51
    Marc Meul

We had the same problem, we solved it by changing/extend the requestLimits.
    The default value of maxUrl = 2048, We had changed it to 1024 and maxQueryString we also changed to 1024. (default: 4096)
    But then we get the problems mentioned. changing it to 2048 solved the problem for us.

<system.webServer>
    <security>
    <requestFiltering>
    <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="10000000" maxUrl="2048" maxQueryString="2048" />
    </requestFiltering>
    </security>
    </system.webServer>

• Nevena Nikolic 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jun 19, 2015 @ 17:30
    Nevena Nikolic

Hi everyone,

I'm having same issue with the Umbraco 7.1.8 and I just cannot get it to work.

I have tried everything, and by that I mean literary everything :)

Please, please - any ideas? :)

P.S. I just need to mention that I have worked on numerous Umbraco 7.1.8 projects and same issue appears on every single project.

Thanks, Nevena

• Tobias 9 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 21, 2015 @ 13:57
    Tobias

Have the same issues as above...

Uncaught ReferenceError: angular is not defined

Uncaught ReferenceError: UmbClientMgr is not defined

Runs on localhost. Not on production server.

Have to set debug="true" and it works.

Ideas ?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Aug 21, 2015 @ 14:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Maybe it helps to add this to web.config if you don't already have it (at the end just before </configuration>)

<location path="umbraco">
        <system.webServer>
          <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false" doDynamicCompression="false" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />
        </system.webServer>
      </location>
      <location path="App_Plugins">
        <system.webServer>
          <urlCompression doStaticCompression="false" doDynamicCompression="false" dynamicCompressionBeforeCache="false" />
        </system.webServer>
      </location>

• Tobias 9 posts 29 karma points
    Aug 21, 2015 @ 14:26
    Tobias

Didnt help me im afraid :(

• Graham Roberts 13 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 09, 2015 @ 20:17
    Graham Roberts

I was having the exact same problem and found my solution.

Check that your web.config rewrite rules aren't conflicting with any URLs which Umbraco requests.

• Nikhil Prajapati 19 posts 131 karma points
    Jan 15, 2016 @ 06:10
    Nikhil Prajapati

Hi,

I also having the same issue. Please help me out. I have already posted me question at git Here.

Still not getting the perfect solutions for it.

• Louis Ferreira 69 posts 265 karma points
    Aug 04, 2020 @ 12:56
    Louis Ferreira

Hi,

I just resolved this issue on my production server after 5 years of having 'Debug=true'. Turns out that the url/querystring length was longer than IIS would allow by default.

To locate this problem, I copied the request that created the 404 from DevTools into notepad and counted the number of characters in the url (which exceeded the max default of 1024). So I up'd it in the web.config as follows:

<system.webServer>
    <security>
    <requestFiltering>
    <requestLimits maxQueryString="10000" maxUrl="10000" maxAllowedContentLength="1000000000" />
    </requestFiltering>
    </security>
    </system.webServer>

Now works as expected with Debug=false set too.

Hope this helps others too.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft