Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alec Colebrook-Clark 134 posts 258 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 12:23
    Alec Colebrook-Clark

Virtualization

Hi,

Two questions.

First is we have just set up a virtual server (running 2008) using sql server 2005. I tried a Clean install off the WebPI but each time either i cant access the site or when i can i get the error "Http:404" Saying im missing something relating to install/default.aspx (the file is there, i checked that and also checked the web.config after searching the forums, The config file was missing the version number but after adding that the problem persisted.) Any other ideas? The only other notable thing is we are trying to use an existing database. This is due to use trying to relocate an already exisitng project.

Second, What is the best way to relocate said site? I was thinking of just crudely copy and pasting the files over, its using the same database so its just a matter of chaning the connection string isnt it?

Thanks

Alec

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 19:36
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The answer to your second question is: yes, absolutely, that's how I do it!

However, your first question is a bit more difficult. Maybe you have extensionless url's or urlrewriting configured incorrectly? Not very plausible though, as you were using the WebPI. Try to see if IIS is configured correctly, is it pointing to the root folder where default.aspx is actually present?

• Alec Colebrook-Clark 134 posts 258 karma points
    Nov 25, 2009 @ 11:50
    Alec Colebrook-Clark

I solved it eventually! Waas being stupid and naming the apllication eventhough it blatantly says DO NOT name the application, Not one of my brighter moments!

Still thank you for replying about the relocation!

Alec

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft