Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Eriksson 930 posts 1825 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 20:35
    Jonas Eriksson

Best practice multiple sites

Hi! I always thought it would be the best idea to add more sites on the same installation of Umbraco when the sites belongs to the same organization. Using the manage-hostnames functionality.

However - now after finishing the first site the number of document types, templates, stylesheets and xslt-files are quite high. So I thing I'm perhaps better off starting up another instance of Umbraco. It's not possible (?) to arrange the stylesheets and xslt-files in folders either so the whole structure would be rather complex.

Are there any performance differences between running the two sites on two umbraco installations compared to running them on the same installation?

Any thoughts from you experienced Umbracians?

Thanks,

Jonas

• Paul Blair 466 posts 731 karma points
    Nov 24, 2009 @ 21:45
    Paul Blair

Hi Jonas,

I would think that for small-medium sites the app domain may shut down when activity is low, which means the JIT compiled DLLs will need to be reloaded from disk. I would therefore assume that there is some advantage in having many small-ish sites running on one instance to prevent this (I haven't done any actual testing to prove this though.)

I have a couple of instances of 4-5 independant websites running on 1 Umbraco instance. If they are simple brochure-type websites there are no issues but if they require extra functionality (members area, blogs etc.) then I will usually run them seperately.

For naming conventions I use:

- XSLT for each site are appended with a couple of letters (e.g. faTopMenu.xslt for Fairlie Agile site.)

- folder structure for CSS is /CSS/sitename/images

-  CSS/style.css will contain those styles available in the RTE. These are common accross all sites and are usually quite limited (e.g. P, H1, H2). I will either leave these styles blank and override them within the actual site CSS or I will manually edit the CSS file and include a ID tag for a particular site.

- /CSS/sitename/site.css will containt the CSS specific for this site

- /CSS/sitename/images will contain images for the layout of the site (i.e. all images that are not in the media file)

Cheers

Paul

Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:34
    Jonas Eriksson

Thanks Paul,

Another, not - to - be - forgotten - point here that probably will set the way for me is that the editors like to have one place for editing their web-pages. One instance that is, with root-nodes for each site. And I will adopt a naming convention similar to yours, bad design from start I did not think of that, now I need to add a prefixes for all my existing stuff for the first site... I think I read about the pro tools could show dependencies and unused objects (macros, templates, document types), that would be very handy. But I don't know if I need to buy Pro for each site, I guess I need to?

Regards

Jonas 

Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:38
    Jonas Eriksson

Ah, the Umbraco Pro Server License is for one physical server (1 ip).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft