Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danny Blatant 91 posts 358 karma points
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 19:26
    Danny Blatant

Umbraco 7.1.4 Installation Woes (No CSS, Can't login to admin, no DB tables)

Hi everyone! A pleasure to meet you all!!

I really hope someone can help me out here, I've been hemoraging time today trying to 'get started' with Umbraco!

I have 3 issues below, if you can help at all I'd be most grateful. I am an experianced web develop but having speant the last year or so in LAMP stacks I'm finding installing Umbraco rather challanging. First off some details. I have had experiance with diotNET CMS's and IIS (EpiServer) but this was a while ago, and now challanged with producing a full featured dotNET site with Umbraco (which I have no experance with) in a eye wateringly quick turnaround, so any help and quick start is greatly appriciated!!!

I managed to install Umbraco with the WebPI installer, which all seems fine. However once installed I have an issue (which we've seem onthe forums before!!)

1. Front End CSS and JS files 404'ing

Some detail, firstly the admin panel is fine, no lost links here It's just the default front end. inspection shows the paths in the source start with ../../umbraco_client/installer/{css or js)/filename. if I change this with Firebug to /sitedirectory/umbraco_client/installer/{css or js)/filename the styles come back! I checked the files exist but I can't seem to find whwere I would set the IIS equivilent to DocumentRoot.

Some details, I am running IIS 7.5.7600 on Windows 7 Pro. As above I am installing Umbraco 7.1.4. I have been hitting the forums and have seen others solutions but to no avail for me! I have reviewed the permissions on my directories (site is installed at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\sitename) and have given NETWORK_SERVICE, ISS_IUSRS and (even) Everyone Full Control as mentioned elsewhere but this didn't help. I also Changed the Website's Authentication -> Anonymous Authentication in IIS to 'Application Pool Identity', and after a complete server restart (IIS is on my local) and recycling of the AppPool, still no dice!

Does anyone have any advise here?

Ok, so the next issue I found is

2. Can not log back into Umbraco CMS after session time out

As it says above Aafter installation it logged me into the CMS backend automatically, however afte a timeout it logged me back out! I tried to re-login using the details I entered when I set the thing up but it doesn't let me in. In an effort to resolve this I thought I'd check out the db tables (in case I got the case wrong on the username or something) but this only presented me with issue number 3...

3. Seemingly no database tables in the umbraco DB created.

I used the sa account to log into my SQL Management Studio, browsed to the database created on installation and wallop! there's no tables in there, no nothing! I looked abou the different databases but found nothing, I was expecting at least a few tables (as the admin panel did show me unpublished example content when I was logged in).

I thought to check the stored connection parameters of the project but a check of the web/config didn't yield anyrthing like that (perhaps someone can enlighten me as to how Umbraco stores the DB connection??)

All RATHER confusing!!! Sorry to paperclip multiple issues here but they all relate to the 'out the box' install.

Please do post links to other posts that might help! I'm sure a few repeats will crop up but I don't want to type out my forum hsitory for today (there's a number of them!!) as it might get quite long.

PS> I did have other issues with the site until I followed the advise here () which got me to the initial account setup screen.

Unlimited and gratuitous thanks in advance!!

Aug 11, 2014 @ 19:32
    Danny Blatant

Ammendum, I forgot to list my setup variables, here they are incase it helps:

Prerequisites : Used sa user

Configure:

Web Site : New Web Site
    'Umbraco CMS' application name : site1
    (resulting in URL http://localhost:88/site1)
    Web Site Name : Test Site 1
    Physical Path : C:\inetpub\wwwroot
    IP address : All Unassigned
    Port : 88
    Host Name : localhost

Aug 12, 2014 @ 15:21
    Danny Blatant

Hi everyone,

Another day, and things move on!I've made some progress on the above so I thought it best to share in case it helps someone in the future.

So to recap, the first issue (being related to document root and relative CSS paths) seems to have been solved. WHat I did today was stat again. Cleared all my sites and reinstalled Umbraco, this time I made some changes which essentually involved not entering an 'Umbraco CMS' application name when configuring like so : 

Web Site : New Web Site
    'Umbraco CMS' application name : [BLANK]
    (resulting in URL http://localhost:88/)
    Web Site Name : Test Site 1
    Physical Path : C:\inetpub\wwwroot
    IP address : All Unassigned
    Port : 88
    Host Name : localhost

I also, clicked the advanced set up options. This time when I installed I got an extra confoig screen where I confirmed the DB access details. I don't recall getting a choice as to what site to install (I wanted blank, but have got 'Umbraco Txt' but this is fine as a starting point!). It installed and worked fine, albeit wiping out the contents of wwwroot (I didn't have any existing sites anywway).

I would still like some advise on installing Umbraco with a 'folder name/path' method (like http://localhost:88/sitename) but I guess this is more an IIS config issue, although the umbraco admin pages worked).

Number 2, can not log back in was solved quite easily. In my haste I assumed the login form would accept myy 'Name' entered on setup, not the email address! My oversight there, using the email worked fine.

Lastly Number 3, Blank Database. This on still existed with this mornings fresh install. It seems the installer is not 100% here. It makes the DB and user just fin with the sa credentials, however it then creates an SQLCE sdf file in the App_data folder and puts the data here, regardless of the instruction to use IIS!

The fix was fairly straight forward, I ended up installing the SQLToolbox VS extension and from here was able to 'migrate' the sdf data back to the database within SQLEXPRESS. All that was left now was to alter web.config with the following:

<connectionStrings>
        <remove name="umbracoDbDSN"/>
        <!-- ADDED SQLSERVER CONNECTION -->
        <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=[UMBRACODB];user id=[UMBRACODBUSER];password=[DBUSERPASSWORD]" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
        <!-- REMOVED : OLD SQLCE CONNECTION -->
        <!--add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1;" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0"/-->
        <!-- Important: If you're upgrading Umbraco, do not clear the connection string / provider name during your web.config merge. -->
      </connectionStrings>

Recycled the AppPool, Restarted the server (and forced a cache clear wit hthe delete app_data/umbraco.config file trick) and hey presto, running on localhost from SQLSERVER.

I Hope this helps someone in the future!

I would still welcome any advise in installing via a path/sub directory, even if its a case of manual install using "this" guide!!!

Kind Regards,

Danny Blatant
    Cygnus

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft