Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phillip Ng 148 posts 250 karma points
    Aug 13, 2014 @ 01:27
    Phillip Ng

Install Umbraco on subdomain but have it also manage subdirectory on different TLD

Hello

I have a non-standard request from a client regarding setting up Umbraco. Let's say they have a top-level domain www.lawschool.edu and a subdomain of students.lawschool.edu. Eventually, they'd like for one Umbraco installation to manage both domains, which is easy enough when using the Manage Hostnames utility in the back office. The problem is that they want to hold off on migrating the current content of the www.lawschool.edu site to Umbraco, and as a result, in this prelimiary phase, only migrate/develop students.lawschool.edu BUT also allow Umbraco to manage content for a subdirectory of their main domain, www.lawschool.com/review, for exammple.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this? Obviously we could install two instances of Umbraco, on the "students" subdomain and then the /review subdirectory, but can we do it in such a way we only use one instance of Umbraco? I tried to prototype something on our end: installed umbraco on lawschool.test.com, for example, then on a content node, managed the hostname to go to test.com/review. The problem was that the browser returns a 404 because that file technically doesn't exist on the test.com site. I created a work-around and instead of test.com/review, pointed that node to example.test.com/review which worked, but doesn't really fit the original parameters. I could try to use an IIS rewrite rule to "mask" example.test.com/review as test.com/review, but we would have trouble with SEO at that point.

Does that make sense? Thoughts/questions? Thanks in advance for the insight!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft