Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mandy tickle 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 19, 2014 @ 15:42
    mandy tickle

total newbie! help?

Hi all

I'm getting a site developed in umbraco 7 and need to know something that most of you will find laughable/too basic.

Basically, i need to know: once i have the umbraco site files, can i just approach a hosting company to install and host it, and if so, will they supply me with log in details to administer the site so i end up with an administraion panel the same as a normal internal installation/hosting? I've never gone external on installation/hosting for umbraco before, and wondered if one of you could point me in the direction of step-by-step instructions and also the best host in the UK? Any other advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Aug 26, 2014 @ 21:18
    Charles Afford

Hi sorry no one has responded. We are friendly :).

To setup a hosted Umbraco instance is not totally straight forward. I have used 123reg and they have been good.

You will need to put the files on your server space. Create a database on the hosted enviroment. Your hosting company will tell you how to do this. Change your web config to point at this database

If you need anymore help or advice please write back :)

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 28, 2014 @ 16:22
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi!

Your hosting company will supply you with login details to your enviroment on the server.
    Once you have login details you can either upload your Umbraco site from your development program (I use Visual Studio)
    or you can just use a FTP Client to access your space on the server.
    As soon as you have all your files up on the server, point your connectionstring to the database wich will be given to you by the hosting company.
    Or, if you use a CE Databse with later versions of Umbraco (7x) you dont have to worry about connectionstrings.
    After that, everything should work fine!

And usally you get some kind of administration panel to access your server, from the hosting company, yes.

Hope this was usefull, and as Charles Afford said: we are friendly! :)

Cheers!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft