Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lisa Forster 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 17:29
    Lisa Forster

500 - Internal Server Error after uploading Umbraco 4 via ftp

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble installing Umbraco 4 on Windows 2008 shared web server.

I've unzipped and uploaded via ftp but am getting an error 500 Internal Server Error. Am I also correct in thinking that I can use a MySQL database instead of a MSSQL database too?

Here's my sub-domain: http://dd1.angelfysh.com

I'm following the video instructions here: http://umbraco.org/v4 - but don't even get to the first screen.

Was I supposed to set permissions on any of the uploaded folders or change any of the files before uploading as I can't find any other installation instructions?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Lisa

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 17:49
    Chris Houston

Hi Lisa,

Do you have remote desktop access to the server? If not you may have problems as you won't be able to set the appropriate security settings for a manual installation.

You will need to set the server to run in Full Trust mode and setup the directory permissions for your installation to work.

Yes you can use MySQL db instead of SQL, but I think most users use SQL server ( or Express edition ) so your more likely to find Packages etc well tested on SQL server and less tested on MySQL.

The good news is in version 4.1 the core team are looking at improving the installation process, so hopefully in the future it will be easier :)

Cheers,

Chris

• Lisa Forster 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 18:19
    Lisa Forster

Thanks Chris,

I'm using a medium trust shared server. I'll try creating an MSSQL database and use those settings in the web.config file.

Will post again tomorrow if I'm still running into problems.

Thanks again.

Lisa

• Chris Houston 535 posts 980 karma points MVP admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 19:53
    Chris Houston

Hi Lisa,

Currently a standard Umbraco installation needs to run in Full Trust mode on Win 2008, however it looks like someone else might have managed to get it working. So you could try and contact them and see if they did infact manage it. I am sure this is something that will be looked at for a future version of Umbraco.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/3569-Acessing-the-webconfig-in-Medium-trust

Cheers,

Chris

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Nov 29, 2009 @ 20:13
    Dirk De Grave

Also, be aware that ftp upload may f*ck up the entire permission settings, so you may need to re-apply those to your umbraco folders. But as Chris points out, umbraco needs to run in Full trust mode (May need to contact your isp to get the required permissions set correctly).

Cheers,

/Dirk

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft