Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Sep 03, 2014 @ 21:18
    Craig100

Confusing installation system changes, why?

Just installed V7.1.6 for the first time. Extremely confusing. I wanted to be able to add username and password for the admin user and then a connection string.

I was asked to either enter name, email and password or customize. (I don't want my name or email in it at all I just want to create an admin account) Customize and Install are both greyed out so you can't choose customize until you enter name, email and password, so the very first instructions are incorrect!

The next conundrum is whether to hit Install or Customize. As a Level 2 Umbraco Cert person, I haven't a clue what's going to happen if I hit either. I know what I want to achieve but the install screens aren't helping me here.

I chose install but then was shocked to find out installation went silent and then gave an error "Cannot connect to repository". Error being:-

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallException: Cannot connect to repository at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.StarterKitDownloadStep.DownloadPackageFiles(Guid kitGuid) at Umbraco.Web.Install.InstallSteps.StarterKitDownloadStep.Execute(Nullable`1 starterKitId) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Which looks like it hasn't installed a starter kit (which I wouldn't want anyway) It had also created a .sdf file which I also didn't want!

So, had to totally delete the installation and start again, entering my name, email and password (again not knowing what they'd be used for!) and chose customize this time. Selected SQL Server and proceeded to add the expected connection data. Wasn't sure about whether or not to check "Use integrated authentication" as there was no explanation with it so crossed fingers and didn't check it. Finally success-ish.

Now I see what the aim was to add my name and email address. Now I have an admin account in my name, which I don't want. Why wasn't this made clear in the install screens?!!!

Trying to log in to umbraco entering my username "craig" and my password, can't get in. I have to enter my email address!!! Not clear, it should say enter email address in that case! It's a bugger's muddle!

So, I had to do this 3 times in total before I got a working Umbraco install. I just wondered, why break something that worked? Hopefully someone will read this and apply some basic UI common sense, read the screens and try it all out BEFORE releasing it.

Umbraco is getting more confusing and harder to develop with every time I come to build a new site.

Sorry if it's a bit ranty but if everyone's a "yes man" you'd end up with total crap. I am extremely frustrated by umbraco but I want to be constructive. Please someone, sort this out. What should have taken 10 minutes took an hour. I find that typical developing for this system, it's expensive. Am I the only one?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft