Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mariehdb 3 posts 23 karma points
    Sep 06, 2014 @ 14:49
    mariehdb

the most basic questions ever, probably

Hi everyone!

So I'm a WP user who's tired of security issues. I'm not a developer, I'm a blogger and website owner.

A few years ago I did use Umbraco a bit because an agency I was working with had used it to build my employer's website. So now that I'm looking at alternative solutions for WP, Umbraco came back to my mind. Drupal did, too (I'm belgian!) but it looks like more technical skills are required and the learning curve is longer.

So here I am with my stupid question : I am a Mac User. Can I easily install Umbraco on a hosting service and then work on it from my Mac? And also, what kind of hosting must I look for? Will my current apache php-mysql config I use for WP be compatible or do I need something else.

Please don't tell me I need to purchase a Windows license and install that on my Mac, it would be expensive and depressing.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions!

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 06, 2014 @ 21:33
    Dennis Aaen

Hi mariehdb and welcome to our,

If you install Umbraco on a hosting service, you can access the Umbraco backoffice from your browser on your Mac. In there you can do most of the things that you need to do for buliding up a website in Umbraco. But if you need to extend your Umbraco with e.g a new section or something like that you need you have Windows because Umbrco is build on- and use .NET. 

But if it´s only a basic site, you should be good a your Mac with access the backoffice in your browser. From the browser you can edit and create files in the Umbraco UI for e.g navations, and so on.

Since you to Umbraco I think a good starting ponit to you would be to watch these videos on Umbraco TV. They are showing the basic concepts of what Umbraco is. Some of the videos are free to watch, and others need that you subscribe.

http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/ Other good starting toturials could be this. http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Creating-Basic-Site/ With the new Umbraco 7. a starter kit is pre install, from there you can also learn how to do things. Back when I start learn and using Umbraco I setup two Umbraco installtions, one with the starter kit instaleed and one without. Then I could be my own site, and learn from the starter kit, and see the videos.

After you have uploaded the Umbraco files to you hosting service you just hit the URL of your domain, and follows the installation guide. By default Umbraco uses a SQLCE database, but if you hit the customize buttom, after you have fill out your name,email and password, you can choose to use the database systems.

After you have finished the installation guide, the Umbraco backoffice / administration will be availble on http://www.yourdomain.com/umbraco

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Sep 06, 2014 @ 22:23
    mariehdb

Thank you so much for your help Dennis. I have had a look at how I can install directly to a host, and also using webmatrix, which seems pretty easy, if I can get access to a Windows PC.

Now I'm a bit confused about something, and I'm probably too much on the WP mindset still : you said "if you need to extend your Umbraco with e.g a new section or something like that you need you have Windows". Does that mean that you have to work on some things locally on your PC, and that not everything is done on the umbraco files installed on my hosting server? I'm not even sure what a new section would be, yet - I definitely need to do some more reading and video viewing!

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 06, 2014 @ 22:51
    Dennis Aaen

Hi mariehdb.

What I was trying to say was if you need to do some custom that the Umbraco CMS not can do"out of the box" then you need to code some .NET. The Umbraco CMS uses Microsoft ASP.NET, and as far as I know you can run .NET code on a mac yet.

But as I said if you just want to setup a basic website with a navigation and so on, you can just use Umbraco from your browser to create your coding files for show navigation and something like that and setup and editing your pages.

Try to see the videos, and I think you will get a good basic understading of what Umbraco is.

If you then have more questions related to this, keep asking them.

And if you have other questions about something with Umbraco just create a other subject in the matching category

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Sep 06, 2014 @ 22:53
    mariehdb

Thanks!

Not being a developer I very much doubt I would ever code some .NET myself so I should be fine with the basic stuff :) Will be watching the videos!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft