Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• leeatkinson 33 posts 44 karma points
    Sep 14, 2014 @ 09:26
    leeatkinson

Automating install of Umbraco 7.1

I have automated the install of Umbraco using PowerShell to create an empty database, download the latest release ZIP, extract, set the correct permissions, etc.

For version 6, I was also able to edit the web.config to add the SQL connection details. But with version 7(.1) this causes a problem as Umbraco assumes that the schema as already been created.

Is there a way to add the connection details to a new Umbraco installation, and it still create the schema?

Secondly, is there a way to automate the installation of Umbraco packages in v7.1?

Many thanks.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 14, 2014 @ 09:49
    Dennis Aaen

Hi leeatkinson,

In Umbraco 7, the database that is used by default is the SQLCE, by you can choose to use other database, when you are doing the installation. On the installation screen you see a grey customize button, in there you can specify the database you want to use.

Bu you have to fill out the information on the install screen to be able to click the customize button.

You can choose you re-install, or you could convert your SQLCE datbase, to an SQL Server or another database, by using e.g Webmatrix. Webmatrix can do the convertion for you. Try to see my and Yoni´s post here: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/53818-Convert-Umbraco-SQL-CE-database-to-SQL-Express

About your second question, I´m not sure that understand 100% what do you mean by automate the installation of Umbraco packages in v7.1. There are a Umbraco package Repository that you probably know, if you have used Umbraco before, and you can install packages from your local machine. http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/packages-and-projects/how-to-install-a-package

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• leeatkinson 33 posts 44 karma points
    Sep 14, 2014 @ 10:09
    leeatkinson

Thanks Dennis

Just to clarify - what I would like to do is to add to my PowerShell script that already creates the empty database, downloads the Umbraco ZIP and extracts it, sets permissions, and creates an IIS website, is to also add the connection details to Umbraco in such a way that it doesn't cause the issue I encounter using Umbraco V7 when I directly update the web.config connection string.

Similarly with Umbraco package install - I would like to add to my script a way to install the package.

I want to do these two things without the need of human intervention within the Umbraco admin site. If I had to automate via the website (e.g. making POSTs) that would be acceptable, as long as there isn't a risk of breaking changes in future releases.

Regards

Lee

• David Prothero 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 03, 2015 @ 18:31
    David Prothero

Lee,

Did you ever make any progress on this? I'm looking to do the same thing. I don't want to have to go through the web UI to finish the installation.

David

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jun 04, 2015 @ 17:55
    Tim

Not sure there's a good way to autiomate the packages, as some of them may have code that needs to run in the back office as part of the process. Some packages are available from Nuget which might make automation possible? If the package is just a simple DLL or files it should work, but if it has to call any installer actions, it might not be possible to automate it.......

• David Prothero 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jun 04, 2015 @ 18:29
    David Prothero

Yes, I've been fortunate enough that the only two packages I needed were available via NuGet, so that works great. For the database, what I did was take a fresh Umbraco site and run through the installer UI. Then I backed up the database and use that as my "starter" database. By having the ConnectionString setup in web.config AND putting the version number (e.g. 7.2.6) in the "umbracoConfigurationStatus" app setting in web.config, that gives me an Umbraco instance without having to manually go through the UI.

I'm using the Umbraco.Inception package for setting up my document types.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft