Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jesper 11 posts 31 karma points
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 12:04
    Jesper

Hi

Is it still not possible to add a database prefix when you install umbraco ? The reason is that I would like to be able to work on 2 test installations in the same database.

Thanks -Jesper

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 12:27
    Dan Lister

Hi Jesper,

I think you can only specify the database name if you are using SQL Server, not SQL Server CE. So if you choose to customise the install procedure when setting up Umbraco for the first time, you will be able to modify the database type and database name.

If you wanted to use SQL Server CE and have different test installations, just copy to the SQL Server CE database file and rename it.

Thanks, Dan.

Sep 22, 2014 @ 12:42
    Jesper

Hi Dan and thanks for your reply.

So if I understand you correctly I don't have the opportunity of using a prefix when I use an MS SQL database ?

Right now I'm working on a redesign of a shop in umbraco 4.9 with uCommerce but I also want to try to redesign the shop in umbraco version 7 and therefore have both installations in the same database just with different prefixes.

Otherwise I might have to buy new webhotel beause I'm only allowed to have one MS SQL database together with my (cheap) webhotel.

Thanks -Jesper

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 12:49
    Dan Lister

Hi Jesper,

You do have the opportunity to use a prefix with MSSQL as you have full control over what the connection string is. Hence, you can specify your own database name.

But because you are limited to only one database, running two separate Umbraco installations will not work. Especially as the versions are so far apart. You would need a new database for your version 7 instance.

Thanks, Dan.

Sep 22, 2014 @ 13:01
    Jesper

Hi Dan Thanks again -Jesper

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft