Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lefteris Trichakis 12 posts 58 karma points
    Sep 22, 2014 @ 17:10
    Lefteris Trichakis

Azure Websites Multiple Instances experiments. (is that easy?)

Hello there,

I have to share a little story (and worries) with you.

I read this fine article about umbraco multiple instances in azure cloud services.

But I started playing with azure websites and multiple instances in order to get some ideas.

So I got a 7.1.6 working localy on VS 2013 and deployed to an azure website and azure sql with bacpac.

Then I scaled up to 3 Standard instances in order to start playing. In order to test that I'm on different instance, I loaded /umbraco in a chrome on my machine, and another chrome on a server of mine, and verified that I have different ARR Cookies.

So far so good, and the no-sync issue of published content cache arrived of course. A simple page with a richtext editor and a media forder list macro, were different after publish.

I grabed and implemented the cache sync technique from this fine article (Section: Scale With Multiple Web Role Instances) which is writing a GUID on an umbraco node called settings, and then on each BeginRequest is checking if current instance guid is the same, or then call library.RefreshContent().

So far so good, I made the code to check each 60 seconds for sync. I uploaded the nesesary dll for the sync and started playing again.

Sync resolved, and happy to publish from different ARR and view new published content after 60 seconds.

I didn't implement any media sync through azure storage. I upload media from one instance, and see it on the other without a touch. I cant believe it as I was sure that media needs an approach like AST did or something else.

Another thing is that, when I upload media, I search it on backend (uses examine right?) on the other website instance and, yeap, is there, accessible and viewable!

Didn't check for examine locks currently.

Any comments by you?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft