Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Høiby 62 posts 53 karma points
    Dec 04, 2009 @ 22:44
    Jonas Høiby

surftown hosting ..

Anybody with experience hosting umbraco @ surftown.dk ? :-)

I have tried installing umbraco v.4 latest edition at surftown.dk .. their advanced hotel for private - with windows and asp.net 3.5 ..

I have downloaded the aspnet35 web.config from codeplex .. and set it medium trust to true ..

I have set write permissions to files .. dont know if im missing any .. :s .. I have followed their .. "guide" .. 

Then i set up umbraco as i normally would - with the 'install' process .. and created a master template, and a document type with matching template that was set up to have a master template ..

But all of this end up in a blank page that does not have the slightest resemblence of HTML code ..

Please advice.. :-)

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Dec 04, 2009 @ 22:49
    Niels Hartvig

Umbraco doesn't work under medium trust. The "useMediumTrust" in web.config is old unused legacy which we *really* need to remove as it confuses :/

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Dec 04, 2009 @ 22:55
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Jonas,

I have a single Umbraco installation running on Surftown. It's running ASP.NET 2.0 and I basically followed their "Umbraco" guide (search for umbraco in the support section) to get write permissions on the XML cache file (at least that's what I think it is). It's a ridiculous process where they make you create an .aspx file to do it, upload it, and execute it...

I've had a lot of "Service Unavailable" experiences with them and I seriously won't even consider hosting a production site there...

If you've managed to get through the Umbraco installation process, then I'd recommend installing Warren Buckley's "CWS" package (or the Runway package) to see if they are able to render the expected output. If not, you should probably try contacting support and see if they are able to help you out. 

/Chriztian 

• Christian Palm 278 posts 273 karma points
    Dec 04, 2009 @ 23:50
    Christian Palm

I have actually created a umbraco at surftown proof of concept :-)
    http://www.umbraco-surftown.dk/

Before uploading and installing umbraco, ensure the website is running asp.net 2.0 (use the control panel). And ensure asp.net have write access to the website, either by the .aspx Chriztian mentions or by contacting the support.

If your are looking for at cheep danish host, you could also look at www.unoeuro.dk

Dec 05, 2009 @ 01:03
    Jonas Høiby

did all the steps .. and should have umbraco installed ..

only thing is .. as said .. i get a blank page - so my guess is that umbraco doesnt render my page i made in content-view .. :s

also inside the admin when i select my page and go to the properties tab - there should be a "Link to document" - but there is not ..??

Dec 05, 2009 @ 01:11
    Jonas Høiby

even if i install runway - there is no "Link to document" .. :-/

• Tommy Poulsen 514 posts 708 karma points
    Dec 05, 2009 @ 06:52
    Tommy Poulsen

I have a site running on Surftown, but I had to turn off xmlcaching in the config/umbracoSettings.config file because I had some problems with the cache not refreshing (or something like that - it's a long time ago, so I don't remember the exact issue).

>Tommy

Dec 05, 2009 @ 10:04
    Jonas Høiby

that did the trick with not showing anything ....

thanks Tommy .. :-)

Dec 05, 2009 @ 10:26
    Tommy Poulsen

Perfect. I known Surftown tried to fix this issue about 1 year ago, but apparently they are not there yet.

>Tommy

• Mads Eneqvist 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 26, 2010 @ 11:15
    Mads Eneqvist

Hello all,

We are currently working on a permanent fix for hosting Umbraco 4.X on Surftown shared servers. Tests are looking good so far. 
    Feel free to pm me if you have any issues and inputs.

Further info will follow on blog.surftown.dk when tests are done.

//Mads

Apr 26, 2010 @ 19:12
    Tommy Poulsen

Hi Mads, it sounds good that you are going to address Umbraco hosting even more. But I must admit that after getting a "nice" request from the Surftown Support Department recently where they state that they could no longer host my solution due to performance issues, I have lost a bit of my (otherwise) quite good impression about Surftown hosting. The site had very low traffic and no major backend customizations. So I guess my advice would be that you investigate performance requirements/limits on full Umbraco hosted servers - it was quite shocking to get this kind of response on such a small site.

Now my site runs without problems on another budget host.

>Tommy

• Olga 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 26, 2010 @ 19:55
    Olga

Hello!

Yesterday i installed an Umbraco site on Surftown and got it up and running. This morning i went to visit the site and my site was gone, instead there was the orange sign with the guy digging saying "you still have some work to do" (just like when you don´t have any pages on the site). So i logged in to admin-mode, published my site and it started working again. When i got home i checked the site again, and it was gone and the sign for "you still have som work to do" was back again. Now i´ve published it again and right now it´s working, but i need to get the site working properly.

Any ideas of what could be wrong?

//Olga 

• Guy Pucill 23 posts 73 karma points
    Jul 05, 2010 @ 15:56
    Guy Pucill

I have Installed Umbraco v 4.0.2.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3441.17657) - http://d18058423.u123.surftown.dk/ on my ADVANCED WINDOWS Surftown hotel.

Everything works perfectly, exept that when i initially go to the site it takes time to load the first time? It must be something about not caching the XML files?

Thanks Guy

• Eskil Busck 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 07, 2011 @ 10:07
    Eskil Busck

According to this blog post from Surftown, they're now able to host Umbraco solutions.

http://blog.surftown.dk/nyheder/massiv-opgradering-af-dit-webhotel/

They claim Umbraco works perfectly fine with Medium trust (in the comments).

Is that true? Do any of you have recent experience with Surftown and Umbraco?

Cheers,
    Eskil

• Guy Pucill 23 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 07, 2011 @ 15:42
    Guy Pucill

http://d18058423.u123.surftown.dk/ performs very fast from the start now. So things are looking up for Surftown. Now we have scheap Umbraco hosting :-)

/Guy

• Eskil Busck 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 07, 2011 @ 15:57
    Eskil Busck

I've just purchased a private advanced hotel and will try it out... I'll let you know how it went.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft