Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    Oct 03, 2014 @ 12:22
    Craig100

Tricky installation still

"rant"

Just installed V7.1.7 and will have to do it again as constantly being tricked by VERY poor UI. Now have to delete the project from VS and start again from scratch.

Issues, same as last time, are:-

1. Forces you to use email as username (don't want that)
    2. Hitting "Install" button causes immediate installation as SQL CE, no chance to connect to SQL Server!
    3. Starter Kits have no explanation as to what each is.

All these are retrograde steps from the old black screen installation sequence. If we're going to change stuff can we please make sure it's not a backward step?

"/rant"

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 03, 2014 @ 14:42
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig,

That is by design from version 7.1.x it uses the email address as the username, I am not sure that is possible to change that.

By default, it uses the SQL CE database, it has been done for make it easy for users that is not much familar with the database stuff, however this is possible to change when you are install Umbraco.

When you have fill in your name and email  and password in the installation wizard, then you can click on the grey customize button, you can choose to use another database.

If you choose another database, and click go, then you get an explanation on what a starter kit is and you can choose by two differnt themes or use not to install a starter kit, and the intention with the new installer is to make it easy to get started and setup a Umbraco installation.

The screen with the explanation on what a starter kit is looks like this:

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Oct 03, 2014 @ 15:39
    Craig100

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply.

It's just not clear, "Customize" what? Might be clearer if the buttons were "Simple Install" and "Advanced Install".

You can change your user name after you've created the site from the Edit Profile or Change Password section. Can't remember which now but one of them doesn't work. And why have a "Change Password" as a content tab? It's out of place. All profile editing would be expected in the Profile Editor surely? I have clients who have brought this up, not just me :)

Craig

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 03, 2014 @ 15:47
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Craig,

Okay I think that you should the make a feature request where you describe your suggestions to make the UI of the new installer more user friendly.

You can make your feature request here:http://issues.umbraco.org/ You need be logged in to place a issue on the issue tracker.

/Dennis

Oct 03, 2014 @ 16:17
    Craig100

Thanks Dennis. Issue raised.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft