Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Stevenson-Leggett 38 posts 110 karma points
    Oct 14, 2014 @ 17:36
    Rob Stevenson-Leggett

SQL Server 2014 Support?

I can't find a definitive answer on whether Umbraco supports SQL Server 2014.

The requirements state SQL Server 2008 and I've seen an answer on here saying 2012 works OK.

Has anyone tried 2014 yet?

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 14, 2014 @ 22:12
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Rob,

I have just tried setting up a Umbraco 7.1.8 installaton with the stater kit pre-installed using SQL Server Express 2014, on my local machine, and I have no problem installing Umbraco using the SQL Server Express 2014.

Hope that you can use this information.

/Dennis

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 15, 2014 @ 11:15
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I've updated the docs, any version higher than 2008 should work just fine.

• Deci 19 posts 48 karma points
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 14:57
    Deci

I've just tried moving a copy from a 2008 server to a 2014 server and it doesn't work. Web site remained in same place, just updated the connection string to point to the new connection.

My site is running 4.11.8

the backend complained that:

SqlException (0x80131904): A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Named Pipes were initially disabled but they are on and all services restarted but same error.

The main site home page gives:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="noNodes.aspx.cs" Inherits="umbraco.presentation.config.splashes.noNodes" %>

Which says to me the connection string is wrong, but it looks ok to me. It's The exact same as the old one bar one number on the end of the server is different.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 15:31
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The connection string is probably fine, the configuration of SQL server seems not to be.

Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider

So it looks like you're using a named pipe, can remember exactly how to set those up but they usually need setting up in a normal SQL installation.

• Deci 19 posts 48 karma points
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 17:44
    Deci

Thanks for the reply. Actually it was the string! My DBA didn't give me the proper server name. Using 2014 I needed to use the instance name as well which he didn't give me and I just used the server name...like I had been doing when it was running on 2008.

What's the best way to get Umbraco to connect to the server over IP instead of Named Pipes then? Might as well sort that out now seeing as I have a new server to play with.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft