Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Oct 21, 2014 @ 22:42
    Carlos Mosqueda

Umbraco deployed and pulling down locally to run

We are going to be working on an Umbraco 7.1.6 instance. It is already deployed on a server and we have been making changes in it.  Is there anything we should look or need to do if we just pull the site down locally to work on in Visual Studio 2013.  

Will just copying down locally and running it in VS2013 work?

Thanks,

Carlos

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 22, 2014 @ 10:17
    Dan Lister

Hi Carlos,

If you have pulled down the site (media and database included) then running the website through Visual Studio should work without problems. If you are using SQL Server, make sure you change your connection in web.config to match the local SQL Server instance you are using.

Thanks, Dan.

Oct 27, 2014 @ 23:16
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Dan or @Umbraco, so I pulled down my site and installed a fresh install of Umbraco 7.1.6 to Visual Studio through NuGet. I then copied my files and overwrote the base files from our pulled down version and run it in Visual Studio (debug) and running IIS Express, I get a NewtonsoftJSON error saying it has the wrong assembly or version. BUT when I replace the NewtonsoftJSON.dll with the Umbraco7.1.6.zip file and refresh the browser the website then runs, BUT then if I stop the project in VS2012 and then try to rerun the project, I get the NewtonsoftJSON error again.

What could be the issue?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 29, 2014 @ 09:49
    Dan Lister

Hi Carlos,

Are you rebuilding the application before you run the application? It sounds to me like your NewtonsoftJSON assembly is being overwritten by something. You might want to check where your assembly reference is pointing to and if it's the correct version.

Thanks, Dan.

Oct 29, 2014 @ 18:42
    Carlos Mosqueda

@Dan,

I found the issue. It was a bug in 7.1.6.   I guess 7.1.8 has it fixed. It is actually a reference issue to the DLL.  Also looks like NuGet got the NewtonsoftJSON 4.5 version.  I just deleted the reference and readded it into project that points to the Umbraco /bin and the NewtonsoftJson.dll instead of the NuGet packages NewtonsoftJson.dll.

Thanks for the reply.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft