Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fernando Camillo 41 posts 82 karma points
    Nov 11, 2014 @ 12:36
    Fernando Camillo

Can't login in backend with IIS 8

Hi.

I'm trying to migrate my Umbraco 4.5.2 installation from a Windows Server 2003 (IIS 6) to a Windows Server 2012 (IIS 8). Frontend works fine, but I can't login in backend. When I hit the Login button, get the yellow screen of death with this:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] umbraco.cms.presentation.login.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +134 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110 System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13 System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

This occurs with valid or invalid credentials, and also not filling credentials.

Old environment:

• Windows Server 2003 64 bit
    • IIS 6 (32 bit app enabled)
    • MySQL 5.1.41 64 bit
    • Site setup for framework .NET v.2.0 32 bit

New environment:

• Windows Server 2012 64 bit
    • IIS 8 (32 bit app enabled)
    • MySQL 5.1.41 64 bit
    • Site setup for framework .NET v.2.0 32 bit

What I've already tried:

• Integrated / Classic pipeline for the AppPool
    • Full permission to site folder for Everyone / DefaultAppPool / NETWORK SERVICE
    • Change framework .NET to 4.0
    • Migrate config tool

Frontend is working, and also .Net macros. Do you have any other suggestion?

Thanks

• Steve Morgan 1345 posts 4452 karma points c-trib
    Nov 13, 2014 @ 10:27
    Steve Morgan

From memory - early Umbraco v4s needed the ASP.NET AJAX http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-4-on-localhost/ensure-aspnet-ajax-is-installed Could it be that that's missing?

Sorry - I'm not that confident with this suggestion but I can't think of any other server differences that could cause your issue - I also can't remember what version of Umbraco this stopped becoming a dependecy so I might be out here. 

You can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=883

Nov 13, 2014 @ 11:50
    Fernando Camillo

Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply.

The system already has version 3.5.0.0 of this assembly. I downloaded the one from the link, now it has v 1.0.61025.0 also. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Tried to restart IIS, register framework 2.0 again (aspnet_regiis), but nothing...

Fernando

Nov 13, 2014 @ 11:58
    Steve Morgan

Have you tried downloading a vanilla new http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/452/ and installing on this server - might throw some clues up on install?

Nov 13, 2014 @ 12:00
    Steve Morgan

Also check and double check your DB connection - I've migrated sites and the front end looks fine but it's running from the XML cache file rather than hitting the DB - the back end obviously needs the DB. 

Is anything being written to the DB table UmbracoLog? 

Nov 13, 2014 @ 12:01
    Fernando Camillo

I'll try and come back with results. Thanks again!

Nov 13, 2014 @ 12:23
    Fernando Camillo

The UmbracoLog DB table is registering the error, checked right now:

At /umbraco/login.aspx?redir=%2fumbraco%2fdefault.aspx (Referred by: http://site-temp/umbraco/login.aspx?redir=/umbraco/default.aspx): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at umbraco.cms.presentation.login.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I'll try downloading and install, as you suggested. Thanks again!

Nov 13, 2014 @ 12:52
    Steve Morgan

Another blind thought - have you checked the appsettings for connection strings? There could be a package throwing an error?

Nov 13, 2014 @ 12:57
    Steve Morgan

Sorry to keep throwing posts at you but have you checked your web.config - I can't find *what* the changes are between IIS6 and IIS7+ but there are some noted in this SO post http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19535335/migrating-umbraco-4-7-1-from-iis6-to-iis7

If the vanilla install works I suggest you use this web.config as a starting point and move over any custom settings. 

Nov 14, 2014 @ 13:28
    Fernando Camillo

Hi Steve! You're right. It's web.config changes from IIS6 to IIS7.

As you mentioned, I downloaded a v.4.5.2 and installed with success. So I copied the new web.config to my website and added the custom settings. I also changed the app pool to use .NET 4.0.

The copy I have was downloaded when v.4.5.2 was released, so it's set for .NET 3.5.

Thank you! And thanks for the Umbraco team for update this old release to work on the new IIS!

Fernando

Nov 14, 2014 @ 13:34
    Steve Morgan

Great news - glad you got it working. I take it you're aware of the security issues in that version of Umbraco you're using and you've patched as necessary or plan to upgrade. 

Nov 14, 2014 @ 16:41
    Fernando Camillo

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the advice. I patched the installation. Umbraco update will be for the next version of the website.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft