Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• astumb 23 posts 43 karma points
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 10:50
    astumb

Installing umbraco on windows xp

Guys, I need to install umbraco on windows xp. I had a look around the net and found this http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Umbraco/Installation/Installing_Umbraco_on_Windows_XP_Professional but then I have heard that Douglas Robar has kindly produced a guide to install it on XP, but I don't seem to be able to find it anywhere. Is there an electronic copy available by any chance?

thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi astumb

I'm not sure that guide is valid anymore unless you for some reason want to install Umbraco 3? :)

Perhaps you could try installing webmatrix and install Umbraco using this guide? http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-with-microsoft-webmatrix

I'm not sure what issues you could run into since I can't remember what is supported on XP and what is not. But the benefit from trying to do it this way is that webmatrix will install the required dependencies before it installs umbraco.

Once that is done you should be able to install Umbraco manually.

I tried to see if I could finde the original guide but all I find is this old post http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2007/8/27/finally-a-book-on-installing-umbraco-on-windows-xp.aspx and all links in it are redirecting to somewhere else.

Are there any specific reasons why it needs to be installed on XP?

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:03
    Jan Skovgaard

You can see a list of System requirements for the different versions here btw http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/system-requirements

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:08
    astumb

Hi thanks. OOps, I have already MSDE from that guide, I hope it won't cause any problem. Do you think I should remove it? Reason for an older version of Umbraco is because apparently that's what XP supports

Yes I had the same problems with those links redirecting onto the main umbraco site, and what's worse, I couldn't find that guide (Douglas Robar) anywhere. 

The reason why I am installing on XP is because unfortunately that's the laptop I have at the moment, it's actually a notebood, the other one with windows7 is too big to carry around so the choice fell on XP.

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:11
    astumb

ah...webmatrix doesn't seem to be compatible with windows xp

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Not sure what you mean by the first sentence? Is it some of the software that's already installed on your system?

Otherwise think it's safe to try installing using Webmatrix.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Oh...

Perhaps you should give it a go manullay then.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:27
    astumb

Thanks, I had a look at the link with all the versions and requirements, but it doesn't say anywhere compatible with XP, so I am not sure which one to try to be honest.

Not sure what you mean by the first sentence? Is it some of the software that's already installed on your system?

The MSDE is a piece of SQL software, as detailed towards the top of that guide I showed you

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi astumb

Do'h! I did not notice the link untill now :)

But I actually think that it might be the original book done by Doug. Seems like it.

But it's probably written with Umbraco 3 in mind...perhaps the early version of 4 as well.

I'm not sure that the combination of Windows XP and Umbraco in the latest versions are going to work out for you.

So unless you for some reason need to install an old version it's not going to be successful I think.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:38
    astumb

No problem. Yes that's what I thought, and I supposed that's why that guide suggests to install an older version of umbraco. Do you think it is worth, meaning, if I install an older version of umbraco say, 2.1.3 will I be able to work with it? If so, isn't there an official archive of older umbraco versions somewhere - I found an unofficial one only.

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Well, you can find these old versions...but what is your purpose of installing Umbraco? Is it to learn it? Because then it does not make any sense to install the old versions.

Then you'll need to go with version 7. Unless you need to learn an older version in order to be able to provide support or solve something in a version < 7. But if that's the case what version might that be? Because then you should at least go for v6 I'd say.

But for what it's worth Lee Kelleher has an archive of all old Umbraco installations here http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/ - But please be aware that those are not supported and they might contain security issues found and fixed in later releases.

/Jan

Nov 14, 2014 @ 11:48
    astumb

.but what is your purpose of installing Umbraco? Is it to learn it? Because then it does not make any sense to install the old versions.

Yes, that's right actually, the purpose is to learn how to use it, so I take that version 2.3.1 would be very very different from the new one, even in terms of functionalities. What I thought was that the core functionalities were pretty much the same across every version, so that if you use version 2.3.1 and learn how to use that, you can then easily use version 7 whenever you have the possibility to install it, but I seem to understand that it's not the case?

But for what it's worth Lee Kelleher has an archive of all old Umbraco installation

Yes that's the one I found as well.

Nov 14, 2014 @ 12:02
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Astumb

Well...I would not recommend it. The interface has gotten a major overhaul in v7. From 2-3 and 3-4 it got a minor overhaul so interfacewise these version look a lot like each other.

But all the underlying API's have changed a lot between major versions and even between 4.7 and 4.10.

Razor has been introduced since v4.6 and has been revised a lot between versions. The XSLT schema was changed in 4.5 so versions before 4.5 is using a legacy schema, which is rather awfull actually (It was awesome at the time, but the change was waaaaay better and made a lot more sense).

In version 2 and 3 Umbraco is using it's own custom templating engine, which was made into Microsofts native engine with the release of version 4 and it was based on Webforms. Since 4.10 it's been possible to use either Webforms or MVC. The default is Webforms up til version 6. In v7 it's MVC that is the default since Webforms are slowly being outphased.

Package support varies between versions etc.

So unless you have a specific version that you need to support, I'd say go for v7. If there is a specific version to support then try and make an installation of that one instead of Installing v2, which I hardly doubt has any active live installations anymore. I don't think that v3 has either.

Hope this advice is useful :)

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 14, 2014 @ 12:04
    Dennis Aaen

Hi astumb,

If you want to learn Umbraco, then I think that you should choose the new Umbraco 7. There has been a lot of going on from version 4, and version 6 to 7. The new Umbraco 7 has a new design of the backoffice UI, and they are using AngularJs as well.

To learn the basic concepts of Umbraco a good starting point would be to look at see free video tutorials, and this written documentation http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Creating-Basic-Site/.The first video series is for content editors. http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/content-editor/ the other one is for developers http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/.

And of course the forum, as you already found :-)

Hope this helps,

/Dennis 

Nov 14, 2014 @ 12:14
    astumb

Thanks for all the useful advice guys, so I supposed I have to abandon the hope to have umbraco on XP then since I can't have version 7 I don't think Ok thanks, and I will get that installed on the big laptop then cheers

Nov 14, 2014 @ 12:25
    Jan Skovgaard

You're very welcome - And please let us know if there are other things you would like to know about or if you run into other kind of issues :)

Happy umbracoing!

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft