Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Nov 18, 2014 @ 10:36
    Tommy Enger

Back office server on separate domain

Hi, I have downloaded version 7.1.8 and done load balancing like described here and it worked perfectly after I configured IIS with different App IDs on each server.

One requirement that we have for our system is that the back office server should be in our internal domain and only possible to reach when connected to our internal network (ourcompany.com/umbraco-backoffice) and the front-end servers in DMZ of course (dmz/umbraco-wfe1, dmz/umbraco-wfe2 etc.)

I see that the documentation has the following assumption: "All servers are part of the same domain". Is this a requirement, or is it possible to configure it like I described above?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2014 @ 09:38
    Dan Lister

Hi Tommy,

As long as the back office server can see the other servers and their websites, then you shouldn't have a problem. To test, I would add a host entry to your hosts file, pointing to one of the public facing servers. If you can see the website, you are good to go.

Thanks, Dan.

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2014 @ 09:47
    Tommy Enger

Edited.

Thanks Dan, will try it out :)

What exactly do you mean by "see the other servers"?
    What kind of communication is done between the servers, except http post to /umbraco/webservices/cacheRefresher.asmx ?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Nov 24, 2014 @ 09:51
    Dan Lister

If you have distributed calling setup correctly, when content is published on your back office server, a web request to each of your production servers is made. The following service is called for each production server:

http://<production-address>/umbraco/webservices/cacheRefresher.asmx

As long as the back office server can access the above url for each of the production servers, I don't think it cares about whether or not the servers are in the same domain.

Thanks, Dan.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft