Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• digitalslacker 6 posts 26 karma points
    Dec 10, 2009 @ 21:04
    digitalslacker

Installed Umbraco fine, but I can'd do anything in the admin...

umbraco 4.0.3 (Assembly version: 1.0.3625.27276)

asp.net 2.0

IIS 6.0 (hosted so it's virtual)

I managed to get Umbraco installed for the first time. When I open up the admin and login I get all the sections (Content, Media etc) but if i click on one of them nothing happens.

I know that descriptive but basically the page reloads and nothing changes. All sections behave this way.

If i right click on tree i get a little gray box for a second but then it disappears. 

I have tried this in the 3 browsers, latest IE, FF and Chrome. 

I re-checked my permissions and it says everything is ok....

I'm brand new to umbraco so it's very possible that i'm missing something simple but I would appreciate any help you guys could offer.

I searched both forums first but this is a tough problem to describe so it a similar post already exists I was not able to find it but I apologize is this is a re-post. 

thanks!

• jaygreasley 416 posts 403 karma points
    Dec 11, 2009 @ 09:10
    jaygreasley

Hi there,

You say it is hosted, so my first check would be that your host has set up your IIS site correctly, Umbraco requires full trust and can not be a virtual directory, it needs to be an IIS site.

hth

jay

Dec 11, 2009 @ 13:26
    digitalslacker

I had to play with the permissions in order to get it installed.

when i run the permissions checker that someone posted in another thread it says everything is fine. 

It's not in a virtual directory, it's in a sub domain but it's a separate instance of IIS

I'm hosting with a company called Doster but they have a similar backend hosting management system as Go Daddy I believe.

I think it uses Parallels Automation....but i could be wrong about that. 

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Dec 11, 2009 @ 13:31
    digitalslacker

I also tried to installed 4.0.2.1 just to see if it was a but in 4.0.3 but I had the same results.

Dec 11, 2009 @ 13:59
    digitalslacker

same thing happens with the 4.1 beta also. 

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Dec 11, 2009 @ 14:34
    Douglas Robar

When umbraco is installed it is "empty" with no content, templates, media, css, etc. You get to make the site exactly the way you want. But that also means the first impression is not always great. I'd recommend you install Runway or either of these great starter sites:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/creative-website-starter-%28cws%29

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/business-website-starter-pack

Or, do you mean that there is nothing in the treeview area in the top-left of the admin UI? The content and media sections will be empty on a clean install but the Settings and Developer sections should have a number of items listed.

cheers,
    doug.

Dec 11, 2009 @ 14:49
    digitalslacker

the developers section is empty too so i don't have any way of using it to install any additional pacakges.

one point i neglected to mention but just tried to post is that I get an application error when trying to install runway

I'll try to post the exception but last time it didn't work...

Dec 12, 2009 @ 02:14
    digitalslacker

here's the error that i'm getting when i try to install w/ runway

Server Error in '/' Application.

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.]

System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException() +28

System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key) +2645040

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.controls.Factory.GetNewObject(Guid DataEditorId) +41

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.get_DataType() +80

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.property.Property.MakeNew(PropertyType pt, Content c, Guid versionId) +321

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.createNewVersion() +357

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.CreateContent(ContentType ct) +198

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.MakeNew(String Name, DocumentType dct, User u, Int32 ParentId) +386

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.Import(Int32 ParentId, User Creator, XmlElement Source) +91

umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.InstallBusinessLogic(Int32 packageId, String tempDir) +4182

umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.LoadNitros.installNitros(Object sender, EventArgs e) +483

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft