Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian Black 54 posts 230 karma points
    Nov 20, 2014 @ 11:01
    Ian Black

Upgrade Umbraco v7 in live environment

Hi all,

I have a website running v.7.0.4 which I have successfully upgraded to v.7.1.8 on my local machine. Is there a best practise or any advice for doing this on the live website?

If there are no database changes involved (how can I find that out?) between these versions then I could just upload bin, umbraco and the umbraco_client folders and merge my configuration files?

Alternatively, I could take a copy of the live database and bring it back to my local machine. I would then need to carry out the upgrade on my local again and push all the files and database back up to live.

Cheers, Ian.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2014 @ 11:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

I must admit I can't remember whether there are DB changes between the two versions. But since there has been changes to how the member section works in the 7.1 release I suspect that there is.

So therefore the proper approach in your case would be to tell your client that within a certain timeframe they are not allowed to add or update content and then make a copy of the database and do the upgrade on your local environment as you mention yourself.

Then it's a matter of putting the DB backup and copy over the relevant files and folders.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Ian Black 54 posts 230 karma points
    Nov 20, 2014 @ 11:57
    Ian Black

Thanks Jan!

That seems like the safer of the two options although I am tempted to do it straight on live :)

I do find I often have issues with TFS but that's not an Umbraco specific problem!

Cheers, Ian.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Nov 20, 2014 @ 14:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ian

Indeed - If you do such things live then you're begging for trouble. Even though it's tempting because it's "Sooo simple...and what could possibly go wrong?"...It will go wrong and one will cry a lot! :)

So it's always better to be on the safe side no matter how simple things seem. (I've been crying a lot ;-)).

I've never used TFS myself but I have heard that it can be a pain sometimes.

Let us know how it all works out.

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft